skoft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
MB: Asus P5W DH DELUXE
CPU: Q6600 ( 2.44 x4 )
RAM: 6GB 800mhz
PSU: Corsair 650watt
Cooling: Zalmon CNPS 10X performa

In my motherboard I have an option AI profiles. When I set it to 30% my CPU is on 3.1 ghz. Idle it is around 19C and when doing stuff it never becomes higher than 30... So I was wondering, Can I reach 4ghz with this board?

Whenever I try manual overclocking, I set my cpu frequency to like 360 and vcore to 1.3500 but it always crashes on me. Also the bios would only say it is overclocked to 3.1 or something while the i set the cpu frequency to 360...

What do I need to do?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have the same chip, and to get 3.6ghz, I need 1.47500 volts on vcore to be stable with Intel Burn test. To reach 3.0, you simply have to change FSB from 266 to 333mhz, that's all.

4.0 ghz is very difficult to do and requires you get close to the bad side of voltage needed for that CPU at that speed, but is a bit easier on Intel chipsets vs nVidia chipsets.

I'll tell you right now; you will not reach 4.0 GHz with any kind of stability with a Q6600. Upper limit is around 3.6 GHz. OTOH, a Q6600 will run at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler or 3.3 GHz with even a mediocre cooler.

And when you overclock, you should test your temperatures with something like Prime95 that runs all 4 cores at 100%.

Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00- or whatever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Don't bother trying to overclock your RAM.

Do not increase your core voltage past 1.50 volts and keep your load temps under 70 C.

TRENDING THREADS