Ide hard drive wont work with asus m4a78t-e am3 motherboard

chain_reaction

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
This question has been asked before, but I have a 250GB Maxtor HD, that I took out of my old box, and it was working. When I plug it into my new Asus M4A78T-E motherboard, the systems fails to boot to Windows 7 Ultimate. I also have a SATA drive, that boots just fine. If I connect the IDE, with the SATA connected at the same time, it will not boot. If I disconnect the IDE, system boots. I disabled Express Gate, as someone else suggested, that didn't work. If I plug in the IDE, and unplug the IDE, the bios detects it, but when I save the settings to specify it has the boot drive, it never boots.
System Specs:
Asus M4a78T-E
6GB Gskill 1066 Ram,
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA drive
Corsair 750watt psu
Win 7 64 bit Ultimate

With IDE drives the jumper must be set correctly for them to boot. With sata, I use the hardrive software to prep and set the drive as a boot or secondary device. If using both ide and sata, set the ide as the boot device. Load the software on the ide drive that has windows. Install it, and use the utilities to set your new sata drive as the boot device. Then do a drive to drive copy unless you've changed motherboards and need a fresh windows installation. After you finish installing the software, it may shut the system down. Then you can set the ide drive as "slave" or secondary, and when you turn on your system, the sata should be the new boot device. I use maxblast 5 for seagate or maxtor drives, but others have similar software, available for a free download. This software will detect drives when windows won't, and the cd acts as a boot device.

I'll toss this out there just in case this what you are trying to, you cannot take an installed OS and move the drive from 1 system to another and expect it to boot and work. It just won't happen, unless the 2 systems are almost identical especially the motherboard, and even then it can be a long tedious process to get the OS to boot work even under those circumstances.
Beyond that, the drive must be on the end of the IDE cable, and it must be set to master. If you have a second drive or CD/DVD hooked to it, it must set to slave and be on the center connector. If you have a ribbon cable that is not keyed, in other words it will plug in either direction, the side of the cable with the red stripe is to be orientated towards the number 1 pin on the drive and board connections.

I had the exact same error today while installing a new board. All I had to do was set the boot order again; forgot to save it the first time. I still suggest you check the ide jumper settings carefully; it should boot with the new sata drive unless both have different windows installations. Windows 7 should configure any drive with xp or vista as a slave device if the jumper is set correctly.

chain_reaction

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't trying to move an existing installed OS to a new drive. Plus, I had the jumpers set correctly. I even pulled out the SATA drive, set the jumpers to master, plugged in the IDE drive, booted to the BIOS, made sure it saw it, but it wouldn't boot to Windows Install screen. But, I did find out something by accident, will pressing the DEL key. I must have pressed DEL or some other key about 3 times by mistake, it went to a black screen, tested my drive, and said it had bad sectors.

Seems like my motherboard was smarter than I was. I remember running a similar test on my old machine, which had the IDE drive as primary, and it returned CRC errors. Thought it was just a bad cable, so I replaced it. So now, I just put it back in my old XP box, and that explains why it's running so slow.

I'll keep the SATA in the new machine, and forget about IDE.

Again, thanks for all the responses.