Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need a new motherboard to go with current setup (gaming)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 20, 2010 7:39:06 PM

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a new mobo for my gaming rig because it seems like I'm being limited with my performance with my current mobo.

My specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (stock speed)
GTX260
6gigs of ram
800-Watt Power Supply
Intel DG35EC Motherboard (does not support raid 0 or OC my CPU)

If I wanted to OC my CPU my guess would be that I'd need a new cooling system to go with the motherboard as well.

If anyone has any tips for me it'll be greatly appreciated :)  .

Also, if you think that getting a new CPU all together would give great performance boosts please tell me because I'd rather not spend money on a new mobo for old(ish?) technology.

Thanks guys.

Best solution

a c 156 V Motherboard
March 20, 2010 9:25:04 PM

GA-EP45-UD3L for about $90:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will let you reach 3.4 - 3.6 GHz with a good after market cooler.

Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Anything else will cost more.
Share
March 20, 2010 11:23:50 PM

jsc said:
GA-EP45-UD3L for about $90:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will let you reach 3.4 - 3.6 GHz with a good after market cooler.

Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Anything else will cost more.


That motherboard doesn't support raid 0 or raid at all, from what I just read. But would raid really be advantageous for a gaming rig?

And thanks for the reply.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 20, 2010 11:26:06 PM

Oh and also I'd want something that I could add in another video card later on in the future. I don't think that mobo supports SLI. Thanks again~
m
0
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
March 20, 2010 11:26:17 PM

If you want RAID, then go for the better GA-EP45-UD3P.
m
0
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
March 20, 2010 11:32:15 PM

garry__ said:
Oh and also I'd want something that I could add in another video card later on in the future. I don't think that mobo supports SLI. Thanks again~

If you need SLI, then your options are far more limited. Maybe something like an ASUS P5N-D?
m
0
l
March 20, 2010 11:42:43 PM

GhislainG said:
If you need SLI, then your options are far more limited. Maybe something like an ASUS P5N-D?


Well I'm not sure if I want SLI or Crossfire (is it?) because I could exchange my GTX 260 for something else. Would it be a better choice to stay with my GTX 260 and go with SLI for the future or should I get a different video card?

I'm really confused right now basically. My main question would be: What video card should I get and what mobo should I get with it (SLI or Crossfire available so I could upgrade later)?

Thank you guys sooo much for the help, greatly appreciated.
m
0
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
March 20, 2010 11:52:27 PM

The best socket 775 motherboards are based on Intel chipsets and they only support Crossfire. Why use SLI or Crossfire instead of a faster video card? If all you want is keep your Q6600 and your GTX 260, then any of the suggested motherboards is fine. If you really want SLI, then upgrade the CPU, motherboard and memory and get an i7-920 along with an X58 motherbaord that supports both SLI and Crossfire.
m
0
l
April 6, 2010 5:01:02 AM

Best answer selected by garry__.
m
0
l
!