Upgrade: partly or whole ?!

Hi everyone, need some help on making decision.

My current system will be 2 years old soon & I’m going to upgrade it. Mostly I’m post working photos, listen to music & watch HD movies (connected thru hdmi to 40” TV) on my computer but I like to play games sometimes as well (1920x1200), so first of all I want to change a graphic card. My choice is ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5. The question is whether it is going to work fine with my current configuration. In other words please help me to find weak parts of my system and decide whether I should renovate the whole system or just change the main parts. My system configuration is:

CPU E 6750@3,3 Mhz
MB Asus P5Q
RAM DDR2 800
Video Geforce 8800 320 MB
HDD Western digital 1TB black series
Power block 450 W
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade partly
  1. Ha, I'm upgrading my E6750 as well.

Well the absolute first thing we need to do is upgrade that PSU. You need a brand name, good quality 500-600w PSU.

This is a good option:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007&cm_re=antec-_-17-371-007-_-Product

Now we need to decide how much CPU power that you need. You have two options, buy a nice Q9400 or Q9550 to drop in that motherboard or go with an i5/i7 build on LGA 1156. Unless you do a lot of really professional work then I doubt that you will notice a huge difference, at least not one that's worth the price difference, between the two options.

Now for the GPU: Your best bet would be a single 5850 or 5870 depending on which you can afford.

Hope that helps.
  2. Thanks for the answer.

Well, since I’ve decided to wait until moving to i7 (especially until 930 is out) I will probably stick to the Q9550. Hope my MB Asus P5Q will work fine for a new configuration. This is what I have planed for upgrade:

CPU: E6750 >>> Q9550
    COOLER: Box >>> Noctua NH-U12P
    MB: Asus P5Q
    RAM: DDR-2 800
    VIDEO: GeForce 8800 GT >>> ATI 5850
    HDD: Seagate ST3500320AS, Western Digital 1001FALS
    CASE: LianLi
    PSU: 450W >>> Chieftec APS-850C

Any suggestions how to make such upgrade more balanced =)
  3. The motherboard will support the Q9550 just fine.

I recommend against that PSU because there are no credible reviews of it and Chieftec is not a very well regarded PSU manufacturer at this time.

Stick with Antec, not the Basiq or Neo series, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, or the Enermax Galaxy S DXX or Revolution series.
  4. will DDR-2 800 fit whole system? or it may slow down everything? THQ
  5. SashaYu said:
    Hi everyone, need some help on making decision.

My current system will be 2 years old soon & I’m going to upgrade it. Mostly I’m post working photos, listen to music & watch HD movies (connected thru hdmi to 40” TV) on my computer but I like to play games sometimes as well (1920x1200), so first of all I want to change a graphic card. My choice is ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5. The question is whether it is going to work fine with my current configuration. In other words please help me to find weak parts of my system and decide whether I should renovate the whole system or just change the main parts. My system configuration is:

CPU E 6750@3,3 Mhz
    MB Asus P5Q
    RAM DDR2 800
    Video Geforce 8800 320 MB
    HDD Western digital 1TB black series
    Power block 450 W

Mate,

Follow a methododical way of identifying your objectives. That way you get to highlight any problems you currently have with your current rig, from which you can draw up a list of requirements, then after that, list your objectives for implementation.

I too was in a similar situation recently just like you but with a C2 E6300 on a 965P board. I wrote about me experience in the following link, look for user "DanglingPointer". http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-265738_28_50.html
    ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Product