New PC will not POST

ljay880

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hello everyone,

I just put together my first PC. I used an Intel Q9400 with stock fan/heat sink. I also used a GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 & 4 GB (2x2GB)of G.Skill 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500. The graphics card was the XFX HD-435X-YAH2 Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16. The case was the RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP with included 500watt PSU. The ATX power cord was 20+4 and the MB was a 24 pin ATX. I plugged in the 20 and the 4 pin harnesses. By my Microprocessor, there is an 8pin power connector. The PSU has only a 4 pin. I plugged it in 3,4,7,8 spot, as I read in the forums that others had done the same thing with success. I am going to get a Molex to 8pin adapter to use, but in the meantime I was trying to get it all set up. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I thought I would mention those two things. I plugged it in and hit the power button. The fans all turned on, the optical drives were lit up for a second, and the case LED's all turned on. The MB has a 5 LED Loading light, and they light up, all 5 of them, like the system is under full load, unless I am misunderstood on the purpose. The monitor states no signal and nothing comes across the screen. I don’t hear any beeps either. It seems like it is on, but I get nothing on the screen. The CPU Fan/Heat sink is spinning also. Any and help would be greatly appreciated.

ljay880

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Also, I did read the section titled "Read before posting about boot problems" ... I double checked all my connections, and to the best of my knowledge, have not hooked anything up wrong.

You need to re-visit the "Read before posting about boot problems" sticky. You'll most likely find the solution to your problem if you perform EVERY step in the checklist. I can't stress this enough. The checklist contains troubleshooting ideas from multiple forum members and is updated regularly. You're not really going to get any troubleshooting ideas that aren't already in the checklist.

Did you try each RAM stick by itself in the first RAM slot? Do you have a system speaker installed? Did you plug the PCI-E power connector to your GPU? Is the HSF tight with little to no wiggle room?

I don't know why I'm even typing this since all those things plus a ton more are in the checklist.

ljay880

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I did read that post again, and I realized I did miss something ... also from the above post. I pulled the ram, actually got the system beep. I put one stick in, nothing again. Put the other stick in, perfect boot. I tweaked the bios, installed vista, and got everything configured. Lesson of the story … pay attention to ALL details. I had previously done the one stick boot, but only with one of the sticks, just assuming that they would both yield the same result, thus it must be something else. Thanks to all for this valuable vault of knowledge!