Sign in with
Your question

Question about upgrading Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2010 9:12:11 PM

Hey guys I got a question for some of you gurus out there. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Dual Core Processor with a ECS Nettle2 Motherboard. I want to upgrade the processor to something that will help my gaming fps. I just bought a new ati HD 5650 and still havent noticed much fps increase, what will it take to stop the bottlenecking I think I may be seeing by the processor.

SR5123WM = Computer Model

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/5982772/reviews.htm
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 9:40:44 AM

With compaq systems, it's impossible to change boards without losing your operating system. You'll need a regular windows cd to reactivate your operating system. To increase performance, you'll need a micro atx board to fit your case with overclocking features. You are fortunate that your compaq power supply will power the new video card. If you want to try a different cpu, I recommend the propus 620 or 630 with msi 6150se board. I have set the msi k9n6pgmv2-v2 at 240 fsb for the cpu and 1:1.66 for the memory ratio and got a propus 620 running at 3100; both are inexpensive upgrades if you don't mind reinstalling your operating system.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 3:37:26 PM

I like oldies suggestions. There are some nice combos that I really like right now with the Ph II X3 435:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N...

This processor runs with the Propus X4's but costs $75. The Biostar micro atx is a good budget board. Avoid boards that are strictly AM3, unless you also wish to upgrade your ram to DDR3.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 3:52:07 PM

BTW, it looks like your PC only supports PC2 5300 memory. So you may wish to think about a ram upgrade, that memory is quite slow in comparison to today's standards. I recommend two gigs at a minimum.
m
l
March 21, 2010 7:09:46 PM

buzznut said:
BTW, it looks like your PC only supports PC2 5300 memory. So you may wish to think about a ram upgrade, that memory is quite slow in comparison to today's standards. I recommend two gigs at a minimum.

I upgraded my power supply to 680w from the 200 that was in it. I upgraded the ram to 4 gigs and also updated from vista to Windows7. Theres nothing else I can do to make my fps go up in games? I play mostly World of Warcraft and we have huge raids which mean alot of people doing alot of things at once and my fps drops down to 9 FPS in a 25 man raid.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 21, 2010 7:52:56 PM

Widows xp may be faster for frame rates. But I still prefer 7 for everyday tasks.
m
l
!