icehawk940

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello All

Well I have been hearing alot about the new ssd drives and I am thinking about possibly spending the money to get one. I was wondering if the experiences with them are good? I have heard things like windows boot times are insanely fast and pretty much any program you open is like snap of a finger quick. ANy info would be greatly appreciated. Below are the specs of my computer if needed.

Intel i5 2500k Overclocked To 4.0GHZ
Asus P8P67 LE Motherboard
2 1TB WD Caviar Blue Hard Drives
8GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 Memory
Cooler Master Haf932 Case
Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler
Radeon 5750 Video Card 1GB DDR5 Overclocked
Corsair TX750 PSU
Win 7 Home Premium

:D

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Yes an SSD will noticeably improve boot times, application load times etc They are significantly more expensive per GB than regular hdds They will not really improve framerates in game etc. You'll want to figure out how much storage you will really need prior to buying one. Figure the size of your OS + apps / games to want to see the speed benefit on and get a drive that is the right size for you (maybe just a little room for growth). With the price of SSD storage falling fast per GB, it doesn't make sense to buy a lot more than you really need right now.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
SSD makes a HUGE difference in most every aspect of computing speeds. Here's a comparison of SSD/HDD differences.

And here are a few videos showing speed differences between SSD/HDD as well.

Comprehensive comparison video
Video 1 - Boot Time
Video 2 - Boot Time
Video 3 - Gaming Load Time

The biggest advantage that I've gotten from SSD is burning movies. With a standard HDD, the avg time it takes me to burn a 2 hour movie is roughly 1 & 1/2 hours. With the burning software installed on the SDD, the avg time is ~20 minutes.

I'd recommend getting a 120GB SSD, giving you about 100GB to play with after your OS is installed on it. Make sure to not add just any program on there, but just the ones that you use most often. If you get one, you'll immediately notice a difference.

Cheers! :D