pentium m or pentium 4

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2004 9:28:54 PM

Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?

More about : pentium pentium

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 1:18:56 AM

manav106@hotmail.com (half man half biscuit) wrote in

> Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
> processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
> photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
> internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
> machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
> 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?

a 1.4 pentium M OUTPERFORMS a 2.4 Pentium 4... don't be fooled by the Ghz
rating... in fact, Intel is finally moving away from it because it's faulty
advertising.. the Pentium-M runs a HECK of a lot cooler (it was designed
ground-up to be a notebook processor), it will give you MUCH longer battery
life (5 hours compared to 2.5). If you're doing processor-intensive
things, the fan on the Pentium 4 will be on fairly often. I have a
Pentium-M based laptop and I haven't heard the fan come on once!
May 31, 2004 7:19:11 AM

Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
: manav106@hotmail.com (half man half biscuit) wrote in
: news:ed766c5f.0405301628.7a8b0163@posting.google.com:

: > Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
: > processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
: > photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
: > internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
: > machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
: > 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?

: a 1.4 pentium M OUTPERFORMS a 2.4 Pentium 4

Doubt it. As I understand it, a 1.4GHZ Pentium M is equivalent to
about a 1.8GHZ-2GHZ Pentium 4, but it really depends on the
application.

: ... don't be fooled by the Ghz
: rating... in fact, Intel is finally moving away from it because it's faulty
: advertising.. the Pentium-M runs a HECK of a lot cooler (it was designed
: ground-up to be a notebook processor), it will give you MUCH longer battery
: life (5 hours compared to 2.5).

Depends on the laptop design.

: If you're doing processor-intensive
: things, the fan on the Pentium 4 will be on fairly often. I have a
: Pentium-M based laptop and I haven't heard the fan come on once!

Maybe it's broken? :-)

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

half man half biscuit wrote:

> Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
> processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
> photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
> internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
> machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
> 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?
Hi,
M for me.
Don't even need to think.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 8:41:54 AM

Andrew wrote:

> Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
> : manav106@hotmail.com (half man half biscuit) wrote in
> : news:ed766c5f.0405301628.7a8b0163@posting.google.com:
>
> : > Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
> : > processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
> : > photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
> : > internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
> : > machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
> : > 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?
>
> : a 1.4 pentium M OUTPERFORMS a 2.4 Pentium 4
>
> Doubt it. As I understand it, a 1.4GHZ Pentium M is equivalent to
> about a 1.8GHZ-2GHZ Pentium 4, but it really depends on the
> application.
>
> : ... don't be fooled by the Ghz
> : rating... in fact, Intel is finally moving away from it because it's faulty
> : advertising.. the Pentium-M runs a HECK of a lot cooler (it was designed
> : ground-up to be a notebook processor), it will give you MUCH longer battery
> : life (5 hours compared to 2.5).
>
> Depends on the laptop design.
>
> : If you're doing processor-intensive
> : things, the fan on the Pentium 4 will be on fairly often. I have a
> : Pentium-M based laptop and I haven't heard the fan come on once!
>
> Maybe it's broken? :-)
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

Hi,
So battery is all used up running fan.
Bummer!
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 12:10:27 PM

"half man half biscuit" <manav106@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
> processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
> photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
> internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
> machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
> 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?

P4 is history. Intel stoped the further development beyond the Presot
The Prescot remains the last P4 fail construction.

For my own applications, my own content management system
written in Perk, a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M outperforms a 3.06 GHz P4 HT

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
> : manav106@hotmail.com (half man half biscuit) wrote in
> : news:ed766c5f.0405301628.7a8b0163@posting.google.com:
>
> : > Am looking to buy myself a laptop computer. How do these two
> : > processors compare? For normal use basically, internet, music, digital
> : > photos, burning cd's, watching movies and downloading files from the
> : > internet. Battery life isn't that important, but don't want the
> : > machine to make too much noise. How does a p4 2 ghz compare to a pm
> : > 1.4 ghz in general use and multitasking applications?
>
> : a 1.4 pentium M OUTPERFORMS a 2.4 Pentium 4
>
> Doubt it.

Look at the benchmarks

http://notebook.pege.org/benchmarks/content-creation-be...

--