browneyxr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi,
I have an i5 750 on a Gigabyte P55-UD3 board and am overclocking the BCLK. Up to 145 (stock 133) the multiplier will move from 9x up to 24x depending on the processor load. However if I set the BCLK above this (say 150) the multiplier stays above 20x up to 24x.

This means that it always runs hotter (so my coolers fan is always audible, as opposed to silent at idle) and it uses more power. Is there any reason why it would behave like this and is there any way that you can set it to keep the power saving options even if you set the BCLK higher than 145 with an i5-750?

canyoudigit489

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
that's exactly how my i5 750 acts with my gigabyte motherboard. whenever i set my BLCK over 147 the turbo boost and power savings options don't initiate. i'd rather keep it at this, (with turbo boost up to 3.5ghz) than have it constantly at 20x - 24x. there is probably some powersaving/voltage warning in the gigabyte motherboard that when the powersaving option is turned on it prevents it from running too hot.

browneyxr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
It is frustrating though, as the CPU seems to bottleneck my Radeon 6950 in some games and there aren't many other CPUs to choose from for that motherboard.

I do want my CPU to be able to throttle and I can't see why they would disable it for higher BLCKs, it seems counter-intuitive.

browneyxr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Folowing my question.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice on what I should do regarding improving my CPU speed? is there any software/firmware that can help out power use?

Is there a noticable difference in either chip life or power usage that makes it a disadvantage to having it run at 20x-24x all the time? Or do other people do this?

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Running an Asus board I can change the fans in bios or in the OS as well as the turbo. Only thing you're going to kill is the fans. Why I don't buy msi, evga, or gigabyte anymore. What power setting are you running in the OS?