Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I SLI overheating. I think. what to do?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 8:52:10 AM

hey all, so I have had an ongoing problem with my two MSI Twin frozr 560ti cards in SLI. I have finally come to the conclusion that the cards are overheating. after an extended amount of game playing i get a black screen, that sometimes CTD's with a display driver recovery, or other times hangs until i hard reboot the system.
Now I'm not sure what to do about fixing this. I previously had two 6850's, and they coped fine. however i think the increased power of these cards are buckling in my pathetic mATX mini p180 case. no gap between the two cards. the primary GPU is hitting 85c plus, so i think it is the cause of the issue.

Now, parts are expensive where I am. and it will cost a fair amount to get a new case and mobo just for the purpose of getting an extra space between the cards. Im thinking i should just sell the cards and get a single more powerful card. Selling high end PC parts ais also not so easy here though...

I'm just wanting some advice. I've been trying to solve this issue for a few months now, and repeated tests have lead me to this conclusion. but would like some more opinions before i waste any more cash.

thanks guys.

More about : sli overheating

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2012 11:11:53 AM

Twin Frozr's overheating??? theres something going on in there man. I strongly suggest you check Airflow to the cards, check the cards for any damage on the heatsink etc.

Prior to making any rash desicions I would also suggest buying some Arctic MX-2 (Or compound of choice) and re-applying the compound to the GPU - I did this with my old 8800GT's and the peak temps dropped from a shroud melting 102C to a cool (for 8800's) 89C

Also, are they overclocked? 85C doesnt sound too bad for GFX Cards, my 2 460s are currently getting these driver errors due to a bad Overclock - I need to sort it xD
m
l
January 6, 2012 11:38:16 AM

You may replace your case fans with more powerfull fans, or add waterblocks to the videocards
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2012 11:02:18 PM

Yeah, I didn't think it was that hot either. All i know is that when both GPUs are installed, i get black screens or crashes after an hour ,or sometimes less, of play.

Airflow isn't good, because i only have an matx case. but im really not sure what else could be causing the issue. i know the cards individually are fine. ive tried reinstalling windows, removing my cpu overclock etc. the only thing ican think of is the cards are overheating.
m
l

Best solution

January 7, 2012 11:31:48 PM

Non- reference air coolers cannot stack. I had to deal with this issue the hard way myself. With the twin forzer air coolers you will have to find a way to split them apart. If you have to you will have to get a new motherboard.

I had the same issue with 2x gtx 470 super overclocks with gigabytes 3x windforce cooler design and discovered that if they are not reference coolers it is absolutly mandatory you should run them split. I ended up degrading my top card so that the factory overclock would display artifacts. Luckily I was handy enough to flash the bios to reference frequencies and it worked fine then.

I strongly suggest you move one of the cards to a lower pcie slot and if you do not have one, you will need to uninstall one of the cards and get a new motherboard if you wish to use both. Also, run msi afterburner or evga precision as they have better fan controllers to help keep your cards cooler than the bios controller does on the cards. This alone will NOT work keeping your cards cooler though you will ultimately need to make some breathing room between the two.
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 6:03:45 AM

For now though you can always test it a bit by taking off the cover and putting a bigger fan blowing air into the case to keep temps down to verify its the heat.

If so a temporary solution may be to use whatever other fans you have lying around from old computers and modifying a piece of cardboard into a new case cover with the additional fans if you want a really ghetto solution that allow you the use of both cards. Or modding your current case if you have the tools and know how.

But others have already suggested the better routes to go, I just wanted to throw out another option for a temporary solution.
m
l
January 8, 2012 1:01:40 PM

It's just too bad the info isn't made more clear in the description from the manufacturer. These aftermarket coolers are great, way better than reference in a single or split up with plenty of space between, but stacked together it's unmanageable. I tried a 120mm 250cfm fan that sounded like a vacuum cleaner blowing directly on and even a box fan at the time.

Luckily my board at the time was also a 3 way board and I just split em and made them run 16x 8x. I was so bent on running 16x16x and really the performance difference is between negligible and completely non-existent in this day in age. Still I see people running into the same trap I did though and aren't so lucky.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 1:26:18 PM

Welsh, gpuz can log a file so you can see what's going on with temperatures after gaming or folding or what ever. In the past I have used "spot cooling" for hot NB, ram etc. I have one of these that I point at the cpu sock and ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I flexes so you can point it in the middle of your sli setup. That way you can send cool air to the hotter of the two graphics cards. I would see what gpuz says first. Black screens can be bad/or inappropriate drivers, playing poorly with screen refresh rate as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 8:55:01 PM

thanks for the replies guys. I shoudl have mentioned that the previous temps posted were with Afterburner forcing 100 percent fan speed on both cards.

For now i have removed one of the cards. I have listed both on the NZ equivalent of ebay, and will see what happens. If both sell for a reasonable amount, ill just pick up a gtx580. if they don't, ill pick up a new case and motherboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2012 7:39:52 PM

Best answer selected by welshmousepk.
m
l
!