Sign in with
Your question

I5/i7

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2009 1:01:42 AM

Thats annoying took 1/2 an hour writing a message and forgot to choose a subsection and it deleted my post...

Anyway i have some choices from which i have no idea which to pick. I play cod4, fallout 3 counterstrike source and will be looking not to upgrade for a long time (3 years??) So upon reaching a decision on intel i5/i7 over amd phenom ii I need some advice:

Do i go for this bundle http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MBB-I5...

Or do i go for this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU...

Then there is another decision for an extra 50/10 pounds i have worked out i can afford an intel i7 920 setup

The intel i7 will cost £200 (on offer)
OCZ Obsidian will cost £80 (on offer)
and an MSI X58M will cost £130

Which would you go for based on my information with a budget of 410 maximum and reasons for each of them if possible?

Also i own an 8800gt which i may look to upgrade at christmas or earier and therefore would probably use dual cards although this isn't a necessity, however i was wondering how large the bottleneck from my 8800gt would be.

Anyway thanks for any help i haven't been researching hardware for the last year and a small amount of knowledge regarding the new cores/chipsets.

More about : question

October 2, 2009 1:48:13 AM

If you are low on money then go with the i5. The thing is i7 and i5 are the same basically. The only 2 differences is the Clock speed(ez to OC the i5), and the price. Your best bet is to go with the i5 and then invest in a XFX 5870 GPU. That is what I'm doing. Why waste 100more pounds on a processor, when the i5 can be overclock easily to 3.2GHz without even touching the voltage. Just make sure you get a aftermarket cooler.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2009 2:23:18 AM

I second shizz, as you can upgrade to a DX11 card, having put that saved money towards it. I also saw that one of the packages comes with an aftermarket cooler, so that might be the way to go in terms of packages.
Related resources
October 2, 2009 2:35:02 AM

ok so it seems like the way to go is with the overclocked bundle for 400 just seems like for 10 pounds extra maybe the i7 with more ram and ht would be better... not sure still...
however whichever way i go i'm sure it will improve my athlon x2 3200+ and 1gb ddr1 ram :/ 
Currently edging towards the i5 overclocked because 3.6ghz seems pretty impressive
a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2009 2:41:06 AM

Either system is good, you should go with what you will feel comfortable with. You don't want to have the case of "damnit, I wish I got that system" - that being said, both will be great systems, and will destroy your old system.

You do have the opportunity to pick up the i7, and from what you wrote, you seem to be leaning that way. I feel like you might feel regret if you don't get it. Remember, you can also overclock i7s. Also, I don't know how intense you go for CPU processing, but the i7 has at least one feature that the i5s don't. So just sleep on it.
October 2, 2009 2:43:41 AM

I agree that i might regret going down the i7 route however if you look at the parts i have chosen is the mobo and ram significantly weaker on the i7 than on the i5 bundles?
October 2, 2009 9:16:49 AM

I have noticed the price of the i7 920 creeping up on UK retailers the last week or so I have been looking. Whereas most were £205ish when I first looked, they're now £211ish. I'm wondering if articles like the one in Custom PC are causing them to realise it's currently under-valued:

"While the Core i5-750 is a very good CPU, it's not worth buying yet as the price of LGA1156 motherboards makes an upgrade cost a comparable amount to a fully fledged LGA1366 Core i7 system. The cost of Lynnfield memory kits can also be criticised for adding too much to the upgrade cost: the cheapest kits we test[ed ...] still cost around £80, while a comparably high-frequency 6gb kit costs £101 - that's only a 26% rise in price [for] 33% more hardware in the box. Until we see a sub £100 LGA1156 motherboard worth owning, we'd leave the Core i5-750 on the shelf, especially as you can upgrade to a proper Core i7 CPU, the i7-P20, and all its LGA1366 goodness for only £80 more."

I'm in the process of making the same call as you, but my system priorities rank editing of large digital CameraRaw files, for which hyper-threading and extra ram are more of a bonus, over gaming per se. I'm sorely tempted to grab an i7-920 while the going's good!
October 2, 2009 10:02:28 AM

The i5 is enough for most users - think of the i7 as the "extreme edition" that Intel does, it's more than most people need and usually just for people wanting maximum performance, or those who want the best because it's the best.

Personally I would go for the i7 - the i7 920 can easily be overclocked from 2.6GHz to 4GHz with upgraded air cooling, with water cooing you could go even higher.

If you're a bit technically minded this article is worth a read:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48...
!