Windows won't boot, can't find any hard drives, etc.

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I can't figure this out. It's long to be thorough.

Ok, so I have Windows XP installed on my SSD, the SSD is about 3-4 months old, ran fine until now - never had a problem.
I installed a Raid0 config with two new HDD's, they seem to be working just fine as well.
I have an older Asus m2n32-sli deluxe board, I'm guessing it's about 3 years, not sure.

So I boot up this morning, no problems at all, no problems ever. Tonight I turn it on and it stops at file missing or corrupted, \windows\system32\config\something. I check my BIOS, it shows my Vertex2 on SATA1, and my HDD array shows up during my raid load.

So, I do the advised thing and boot from windows CD. It does not show any windows partitions to repair. It also doesn't show any hard drives. I fire up DART/ERD Commander and again, same thing. Shows my IDE connected items, but no SSD or HDD Array. I checked my connections, they're fine, I even replaced the SSD SATA cable with another and made no difference.

I'm assuming the SATA Controller is still ok otherwise nothing would show up in my BIOS right? I'm just about out of ideas here, anyone have any?

Any ideas are appreciated.

-- EDIT --

Ok, so the SSD is fine, I just tried it in this computer and I can view all the contents of it. So what's going on? :\

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I'm taking a guess here, but is it possible your SSD is on the RAID controller? If its standalone and you enable RAID you have to have the RAID driver installed in the OS for it to work even if the drive itself is not a member of a RAID array and is just on that controller. Did it boot more than once with the new RAID array configured? Did you change the controller mode to RAID when you did this?

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
OK, so I guess I figured it out sort of. So I switched the SSD (OCZ Vertex 2) from SATA 1 to SATA 6 and tried booting from windows cd again. This time it did recognize the drive, unlike the prior attempts, and I then /fixmbr which solved the problem. Apparently my mbr went bad and I'm still not sure about this.. but it seems maybe my sata controller is having issues? I still wouldn't mind some feedback as to what exactly happened, but I'm happy the issue is resolved. Thanks for taking some stabs at it.