Car Power Adapter for Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2004 11:15:02 PM

I am considering buying the Targus Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air
Adapter for my HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop. The AC power supply for my
laptop says:
INPUT: 100-240V~2.4A
OUTPUT: 18.5V...4.9A 90W.

If I use this 70W car adapter for my laptop which has a specification
of 90W, will there by any problems?

The Targus website http://www.targus.com/us/downloads/NewPowerCompatibilit...
says the Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air Adapter is compatible with all
ze series laptops but I am worried. Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred
fredsafi@hotmail.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 4:24:42 AM

"Eye Guy" <fredsafi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I am considering buying the Targus Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air
| Adapter for my HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop. The AC power supply for my
| laptop says:
| INPUT: 100-240V~2.4A
| OUTPUT: 18.5V...4.9A 90W.
|
| If I use this 70W car adapter for my laptop which has a specification
| of 90W, will there by any problems?
|
| The Targus website
http://www.targus.com/us/downloads/NewPowerCompatibilit...
| says the Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air Adapter is compatible with all
| ze series laptops but I am worried. Please advise.

My choice was to use a $40 120w power inverter purchased from my local
walmart. I just plug the AC adapter in to it and go. That also leaves me
with the availability of an AC outlet for whatever use I might need it for
in the future.
May 31, 2004 11:12:53 AM

Maybe and maybe not. It depends on what power the computer actually
draws and what peak load the Targus is capable of. If the steady
steady state power draw of your computer is actually 90 watts and the
steady state power supply from the Targus is 70 watts, I doubt if it
would last long. However, if the computer peak power draw is 90 watts
and the Targus has a peak supply of 140 watts, you are probably OK.
The steady state computer power draw is probably less than 70 watts.
(My Vector inverter has a steady state supply of 175 watts but a peak
supply of 350 watts.)

Regards, hawk

Eye Guy wrote:
> I am considering buying the Targus Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air
> Adapter for my HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop. The AC power supply for my
> laptop says:
> INPUT: 100-240V~2.4A
> OUTPUT: 18.5V...4.9A 90W.
>
> If I use this 70W car adapter for my laptop which has a specification
> of 90W, will there by any problems?
>
> The Targus website http://www.targus.com/us/downloads/NewPowerCompatibilit...
> says the Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air Adapter is compatible with all
> ze series laptops but I am worried. Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred
> fredsafi@hotmail.com
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 11:47:37 AM

Get a power inverter that can provide at least 120 to 150 watts continuous
output and save yourself money while you're at it. Not to mention that you
will be able to use the inverter for powering other items as well.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 7:07:29 PM

"Eye Guy" <fredsafi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am considering buying the Targus Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air
> Adapter for my HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop. The AC power supply for my
> laptop says:
> INPUT: 100-240V~2.4A
> OUTPUT: 18.5V...4.9A 90W.
>
> If I use this 70W car adapter for my laptop which has a specification
> of 90W, will there by any problems?

When You charge internal batteries while working.

You made the failure to buy a pseudo "laptop" with
extrem slow desktop CPU.

Even an ancient 1 GHz mobile P3 Tualatin
is much faster than the Celeron

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

Eye Guy wrote:

> I am considering buying the Targus Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air
> Adapter for my HP Pavilion ze4500 laptop. The AC power supply for my
> laptop says:
> INPUT: 100-240V~2.4A
> OUTPUT: 18.5V...4.9A 90W.
>
> If I use this 70W car adapter for my laptop which has a specification
> of 90W, will there by any problems?
>
> The Targus website http://www.targus.com/us/downloads/NewPowerCompatibilit...
> says the Mobile 70 Universal Auto/Air Adapter is compatible with all
> ze series laptops but I am worried. Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred
> fredsafi@hotmail.com

There may or may not be a problem. Let's assume all the wattage ratings
are continuous (and not peak). Your AC adapter says it can provide 90W
of power, but the more important bit of info you need is how much power
does your laptop actually consume? My guess is that it's a fair bit less
than 90W.

For instance, my "lowly" TP-600E (P2-366) has a base consumption rating
of 2.6A @ 16VDC, or 42W (2.6x16). Of course, you have to account for the
extra wattage due to higher CPU/bus speeds and upgrade items (high-speed
HDD, CD-RW/DVD, RAM, PCMCIA card(s)...). Even then, I haven't heard of
any "hi-powered" laptop going much beyong 60W under "full" use.

My guess is your DC adapter will be fine as long as it can supply the
proper VOLTAGE.

If you still have some concern, just give the adapter a quick "feel" now
and then. If it gets too hot, then that may mean it's not up to
supplying the current (or "wattage," if you prefer) your laptop is
"asking" of it.

~EM
!