Koolance pc4-1000 in a loop with mcp655. flow restriction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
So i'm doing some major modding to my case. I don't like any of these cases that come out. I like older cases that I can rip up. I'm using a system pro server case, standing at 26 1/2" high(29" with wheels) and 16 1/4" wide.

Anyways I cut out the hard drive bays at the bottom so i can place a 480 rad inside with 4 nidec beta 120mm x38mm fans(loud bastards). I am using a swiftech micro res and a swiftech mcp655 pump. I came across a big lot of liquid cooling stuff and an ssd so I bought everything really dirt cheap. Guy didnt want it all anymore and lucky me the ssd was brand new sealed.

What was included that im in question about is a brand new koolance pc4-1000 that fits in the hard drive bay. it is a res and pump all in one unit. i have the 3 fan rad, also koolance, that mounts to the top of the case. So i was thinking of modding the top of the case to fit this 3 fan rad in a loop with my 4 fan rad. Now, i know people use dual pumps sometimes but i see they use they same ones.

Will there be a flow restriction with an mcp655 and the koolance unit?

I will be cooling the cpu( i7 950) and gpu (xfx 6950). I was thinking of going from res > mcp655 > 480 rad > cpu > pc4-1000 > koolance 360 rad > gpu > res.

Solution
It just depends- either pump is good. The Koolance pump unit uses a DDC Laing pump and the D5 is also a great pump. The DDC's are a little better for more restrictive loops and have a lower flow rate, while the D5's are higher flow but lower head pressure. You can also get tops for pumps that improve flow and head, but not really an option for that Koolance unit as the pump is integrated.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
i know that. thanks though. but i was asking would i have a flow restriction is i used the mcp655 and the koolance pc4-1000 unit together as they are two different pumps.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't know why you'd need 2 pumps in a small loop like that. Both are very good pumps, the Koolance unit uses a DDC pump and the D5 is also a great pump.

I'd just keep one as backup (or sell it), but no need to run both; either one alone is far capable of great flow rates alone. If you really feel you need to run both, just dial the D5 down a bit to 3 or 4 and keep them on opposite sides of the loop so they aren't fighting flow rates being directly serial to one another.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
yea your right. i just wanted to be sure. thank you. i am also thinking the 2 rads might be a bit overkill. but for reference i do plan to add another 6950 watered, or two whatever cards watered. one rad is 4 fan and the other is 3. i was going mod the case to sit the 3 fan koolance rad unit on top for looks.

so i guess ill sell the koolance pump/res unit. another d5 pump came with that lot of stuff i bought so i dont need two, might as well sell that also.

thank you for your help.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
i got the koolance 3 fan rad setup, the koolance pc4-1000, danger den d5, koolance pci controller board for fans, looks to be a cpu block for am2 chips(looks like it might fit am3, will add some photos), ocz octane 12ogb ssd brand new, looks to be a swiftech 120 rad, 6 antec 120mm reb led fans, sealed bottle of pc ice coolant, some gpu thermal pads, bunch of miss. bolts screws, etc. i got it all too cheap. friend of mine just wanted it gone.

the things i dont really need and will be posting online for sale are the
120mm single rad with 1/2 barbs,
DD d5 pump with speed control( was used one week total for testing by friend, i havent used it),
koolance pc4-1000 unit,
the what looks like an am2/3?? cpu copper block with 1/2 barbs,
2 clear 120mm led fans, dont remember what color, by ACE,
an OCZ 120 gb vertex 2 SSD.

nolij

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Nooins now that i read that i see how it could be taken a different way. i didnt mean it just sit there for looks. it will be used in the loop. just said to mention that since i reread it to myself.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It just depends- either pump is good. The Koolance pump unit uses a DDC Laing pump and the D5 is also a great pump. The DDC's are a little better for more restrictive loops and have a lower flow rate, while the D5's are higher flow but lower head pressure. You can also get tops for pumps that improve flow and head, but not really an option for that Koolance unit as the pump is integrated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.