Can I upgrade my AMD 64 3200+ to a dual core? mother board is a MSI K8

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Theres a chances it'll be cheaper to get a newer mobo/cpu/and ram than upgrading a socket 939 to dual core. A lot of the 939 boards used AGP cards, so anyone wanting to hang onto their older systems place a lot of value in the limited number of dual core 939 cpu options out there and the price has been driven up. Let us know what you find price wise and we'll do a comparision.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're willing to go EBay, you can get a lower end (X2-3800+) socket 939 processor for under $100.

Pricewatch shows the cheapest dual-core s939 at StarMicro Inc. This is an OEM processor, so you'd still need a Heatsink/Fan (or maybe use your current?). Better processors have a sharp increase in price

-Wolf sends

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know where to start with the choice of mobo's, I have a full ATX tower. I do a lot of surfing the web and i manage my own web-site for a hobby of mine. But want something that will be awesome with gaming. Here's what I have now:

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD (MSI)
Product : K8N Neo4/SLI
Model : MS-7100
nVidia nForce4 chipset
Physical Memory : 2048 MB DDR-SDRAM

AMD Athlon 64
Internal Specification : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Model Number : 3200+
Codename : Winchester

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCI-Express video card
Western Digital Hard Disk
Peripheral Type : ATA
Manufacturer : WDC WD50

Thanks for your help!

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you're in need of guidance, start with the stickies on this forum. Proximon has a great guide on how to choose parts and in his sig, he keeps a list of parts he recommends to get real specific. Once you have gone through that, you can use the sticky on how to ask for help to get some specific help based on a budget and what you have already. That link is also in my sig. Follow the format, and you'll get lots of good help from the knowledgable around here.

TRENDING THREADS