New Build but not sure on how to set up an ssd from the start

D1CE

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi guys,

Im about to start a new build obviously the first time ive added in a ssd. The problem im having is that im not at all sure how to set up the ssd. Im starting off completely fresh no ghost images or OS transfers just plain old put pc together and setting up the drive and hdd. what i want is to put my OS on the ssd and everything else on the hdd. Would be greatly appreciated if someone with good experience could help me with this.

ie. how do i make my system recognise the ssd?
how do i set it up as main drive?
do i physically mount the ssd to the mobo or does it connect through cabling?

Thankyou.

D1CE

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
thanks for the info on AHCI :) but the rest i was kinda aware of the problem im having is on how to install it for a first build and how to set it up

Thanks

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
just make sure you MB Bios is up to date, then if you can hook up your SSD to another PC with AHCI enabled on that PC, you can update the firmware on your SSD (you can skip this part, but as an FYI it is a PITA to update SSD firmware on a working PC,,
I haven't been able to update the firmware on my PC because of this but it seems to run fine so I don't think it is such a big deal.

Then hook up your PC like normal (make sure no other hard drives installed and BIOS has AHCI enabled) then install your OS (windows likes to put boot files on other drives and is why I won't install it with more than 1 drive hooked up)

Add other hard drives after install is finished, you may have to go back into BIOS to select to boot drive. then you should be done

Drive hooks up like any other hard drive with a SATA cable, it will not mount direct on your MB. Just find a nice comfy home for it inside your case, it does not really require any airflow - just make sure it does not block the airflow to anything else that may need it though.

D1CE

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
P.S my motherboard is brand new straight outta the box, will i still need to update bios and if so how would i accomplish that.

cheers monkey

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
go to the manufacturer's website, it will tell you how to read what bios version your MB currently has and will let you know what the most recent BIOS update is and when it came out,, it may not be entirely necessary but for example with my MB, straight from factory won't boot with 4GB memory modules, I have to back off to 2GB and update my BIOS before i can put in the 4GB --- you can always flash your MB bios even after a windows 7 install, so only worry about it if you seem to have memory or drive recognition problems at this point if you really have a tough time figuring out how to flash your BIOS,,, you MB manufacturer may even have a program that will let you do everything from Windows environment.