1866 memory clocked at 1333 on sabertooth 990x

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I just built a new computer with an Asus sabertooth 990x, phenomn IIx4 970 and dual channel corsair memory (1866MHz).

so the first thing I like to do when I build a computer is see what she can over clock too. write it down and bring it back to stock (incase a game studders a little and OC'ing will help during that gaming session)! I'm learning more and more about OC'ing every day and now I'm trying to tackle memory... kinda.

Basically my 1866MHz memory is being shown as 1333MHz in my motherboard so I'd like that raised to 1866MHz and would like to know if it's possible to push it further then that.

I over clocked the processor last night from 3.5 to 4.042GHz last night without a hitch and the memory clocked was raised to 1832MHz... It's very confusing to me though - I'd really like to know if it's possible to bring my memory to it's stock clock rates without overclocking anything else on the computer so then when I DO overclock other components I can do with knowing that nothing else is chaning itself o_O

anyone want to help me out with this one? like I said I'm learning more and more every day so I could be off base with this one

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
you can use lower speed (1333mhz) of ram in bios and timings of 1600mhz (use cpuid to check timing of 1600mhz (under 800mhz) ram) by manually applying this

4ghz is good and i think you can keep it here
you can overclock it a max of 200mhz more

ChemE

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
mcopinger,

I'm an overclocking newbie myself, but I think that I can help you out. Just please take what I say with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be saying it if I didn't think I was correct, but my limited experience can't be taken as authoritative.

As I understand it, companies like Corsair make all of the RAM of a specific type on the same factory line. Then they test each stick to see how well it was made (which is affected by how well the chemicals diffused into the metal and such). Then, based on the rating, they package it and sell it as working at a certain speed. Better sticks tend to be packaged as working at a higher speed. If you're really lucky, you may get RAM that can work at a much higher speed than it's packaged for, in which case you can overclock beyond the specification.

Many motherboards have a default of 1333MHz. Your RAM, assuming that it's compatible, may well work at a higher speed, but that's all Corsair is certifying: that it WILL work at a higher speed WHEN you overclock it. Since the speed isn't built into the stick you have to set it when you mess with your BIOS.

Further you should know that your default bus speed (I may be using the wrong term here) is about 133.33MHz. You double that to get the base rated speed, 266.66MHz. And then your RAM's speed is some multiple of that base rated speed (i.e., 5*266.66MHz is 1333MHz, 7*266.66MHz is 1866MHz).

If you had your CPU overclocked, the bus speed may've been changed. Assuming that you left your RAM alone, then the RAM's new speed should be its old multiplier times the NEW bus speed. And if your new bus speed can't be multiplied by an integer to get 1866MHz, then you won't be able to overclock your RAM to 1866MHz (but you can probably still get just a little above or below it).

Finally you should know that overclocking both the CPU and the RAM at the same time is a more difficult task than overclocking either alone. I'm personally having trouble with it, which I was doing before I started typing this reply. Though again, I'm a newbie too.