Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New i7 920 Build for mid-October

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 2, 2009 4:59:21 AM

Salutations, everyone. I'm hoping to have all the parts ordered for this system around the middle of October. Currently the main hurdle that I need to pass is regarding the motherboard that I choose. Here are the details.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: mid-October BUDGET RANGE: $1300-1500 US

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, Folding@Home, surfing 'net, MS Word/Excel

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, case (already have a modded Cosmos 1000), mouse, monitor, OS (Using Windows 7 RTM.)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, ewiz.com, zipzoomfly.com

OVERCLOCKING: Yes. Hoping to push the i7 920 to at least 3.6Ghz SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Most likely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Monitor maxes out at 1920x1080. Plan to game at this resolution or slightly lower

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I definitely need some advice/opinions on my motherboard choice.

Without further adeu, here is the parts list:

CPU: Core i7 920 D0 http://linkecomputer.com/products/216081/BX80601920%20-%20D0/Intel/

MOBO: Here are the MBs that I am trying to choose between.
ASRock x58 Extreme http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163
I've excellent things about this board. Apparently it overclocks well and has all of the features of many x58 boards that are $200+
Does anyone out there have any experience with this board? I've looked around and was unable to find the duration of the manufacturer's warranty. Any idea how long it lasts?

Gigabyte GA-EX58-ED4P http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P
I've heard good things about this board as well. Any comments?

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049&Tpk=evga%20141
This one might be a stretch, considering that it would limit my crossfire configuration to x8 PCIE on the second video card. However, I've heard that the performance difference in scaling from x16 to x8 is minimal. Any thoughts?

RAM: I have a few RAM kits to choose from as well. Here is what I have it narrowed down to.
Mushkin kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226030
Another Mushkin kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226032
Corsair kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224
Corsair kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145250
OCZ kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381 (This one is DDR 1600 versus 1333. Should I really pay much attention to such a difference?)
OCZ kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388

Phew! Quite a few kits to choose from. Any suggestions between the kits I selected?

GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443

HDD: Two Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB in RAID 0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319&Tpk=Western%20Digital%20Caviar%20Black%20WD6401AALS%20640GB

Optical drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151187

PSU:
Corsair 850W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009&Tpk=corsair%20850
Anyone out there think that this would be overkill for this build? I think I would want to be safe than sorry, considering that I might add a second video card.

TIM: most likely Arctic Cooling MX-2 or 3. Any other suggestions?
CPU Heatsink: Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093&Tpk=Scythe%20MUGEN-2%20SCMG-2000

I am also planning on changing out the stock 120mm fans that came with my case, but I already have an idea of what I will be getting.

Well, that is it! I look forward to everyone's input. Many thanks!





More about : 920 build mid october

October 2, 2009 5:15:03 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Quote:
This one might be a stretch, considering that it would limit my crossfire configuration to x8 PCIE on the second video card. However, I've heard that the performance difference in scaling from x16 to x8 is minimal. Any thoughts?

This is only true when doing 3-way SLI as all X58 mobos has the ability to do x16 x16 or x16 x8 x8 (and the x4 goes unused most of the time)
I think by what you wrote about the mobo options you already made an obvious choice!
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 5:48:19 AM

I double-checked the spec's on the EVGA board, and it indeed has only one true x16 PCIE slot. The other is x8. Does anyone else have thoughts on the Gigabyte board?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 2, 2009 6:17:24 AM

I rechecked it on their site and the reviews and it appears this is right but what i said earlier applies to almost all other boards..
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 6:46:09 AM

psycho sykes said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Quote:
This one might be a stretch, considering that it would limit my crossfire configuration to x8 PCIE on the second video card. However, I've heard that the performance difference in scaling from x16 to x8 is minimal. Any thoughts?

This is only true when doing 3-way SLI as all X58 mobos has the ability to do x16 x16 or x16 x8 x8 (and the x4 goes unused most of the time)
I think by what you wrote about the mobo options you already made an obvious choice!


Most of the less-expensive X58 boards that have three x16 slots do x16/x16/x4 lanes and cannot be converted to x8/x8 mode.

As for EVGA, if they screwed up the board they don't deserve anyone's business.

To the OP, here's the information you need:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cheap-x58-motherboa...
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 6:59:52 AM

Quote:
Most of the less-expensive X58 boards that have three x16 slots do x16/x16/x4 lanes and cannot be converted to x8/x8 mode.

Eg. _______ ????
Out of curiosity but what's ( Tom's Hardware Team ) tag?
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 7:31:59 AM

here is a well tested rig with world records take it for what it worth 100% rock solid 24/7....click on the banner and try this hardware you wont be disappointed....



m
0
l
October 2, 2009 7:44:32 AM

psycho sykes said:
Quote:
Most of the less-expensive X58 boards that have three x16 slots do x16/x16/x4 lanes and cannot be converted to x8/x8 mode.

Eg. _______ ????
Out of curiosity but what's ( Tom's Hardware Team ) tag?


x16-length slots with 16 pathways on the first, 16 pathways on the second, and 4 pathways on the third. The Asus P6T standard and P6T-SE are examples, but "most" lower-range X58 motherboards are made this way.
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 8:18:28 AM

Thanks for the clarification..
Since the OP is only worried about CF/SLI (not 3-way) then one of those 2 would be good.. The eVGA one is simply horrible in this aspect making it as if anyone who buy it would use 3-way SLI (the name!) and thus making it x16 x8 x8 from the first place meaning x8 lanes wasted when using SLI/CF.... I vote for the Asrock Extreme..
m
0
l
October 2, 2009 8:28:06 PM

I like the HX Model from Corsair better if you're thinking of adding a 2nd GFX cards.

I usually run the PSU calculator here http://www.antec.outervision.com/ w/ 85% TDP, 90% system load, 25% capacitor aging and then multiply my answer by about 1.5 to size mine.

The WD Black's up to 1 TB size just don't stand up to today's competition and run quite a bit hotter and noisier than other alternatives.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...
m
0
l
October 3, 2009 3:52:14 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I like the HX Model from Corsair better if you're thinking of adding a 2nd GFX cards.

I usually run the PSU calculator here http://www.antec.outervision.com/ w/ 85% TDP, 90% system load, 25% capacitor aging and then multiply my answer by about 1.5 to size mine.

The WD Black's up to 1 TB size just don't stand up to today's competition and run quite a bit hotter and noisier than other alternatives.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...



I checked out those charts, and none of the figures show anything for the 640 GB Western Digital Black drives. Apparently the 640 is highly recommended by many others based off its performance.
m
0
l
October 3, 2009 3:54:02 AM

psycho sykes said:
Thanks for the clarification..
Since the OP is only worried about CF/SLI (not 3-way) then one of those 2 would be good.. The eVGA one is simply horrible in this aspect making it as if anyone who buy it would use 3-way SLI (the name!) and thus making it x16 x8 x8 from the first place meaning x8 lanes wasted when using SLI/CF.... I vote for the Asrock Extreme..


I would love to go for the ASRock, but I am unsure about the longevity of the board's life. Apparently ASRock doesn't have the best track record in terms of board life and warranty. Can anyone out there confirm this?
m
0
l
October 3, 2009 10:06:32 AM

wow thats like just throwing your money away oh well not mine......lol




m
0
l
October 3, 2009 11:26:16 AM

What's like throwing it away???
m
0
l
October 3, 2009 5:25:28 PM

itzamedave said:
wow thats like just throwing your money away oh well not mine......lol




]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/601242.png



Oh? I'm more than willing to hear the reasoning for your statement, but you have left me high and dry without any explanation. What aspect of this build do you think should be changed?
m
0
l
October 4, 2009 10:34:40 PM

itzamedave said:
here is a well tested rig with world records take it for what it worth 100% rock solid 24/7....click on the banner and try this hardware you wont be disappointed....

]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/601242.png



Are you cooling that thing on air alone? Based off some reviews, users weren't pushing past 3.5Ghz. What's the part number on that Mushkin RAM?
m
0
l
October 6, 2009 8:23:44 AM

throwing your money away is 3 way sli.....and when you can beat a 3dmark06 score of 26,963 with only 2x9800gt's stock air cooled that cost $79 each free shipping then we will talk......for that matter any card in the $160 range that can hit those numbers......lol if you want good 9800GT's here is my world record holding cards......and yes i do hold the official highest 3dmark06 score to date with these.....
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.a...
m
0
l
October 6, 2009 8:29:14 AM

as far as throwing away your money I was referring to the AS*ROCK board....lol
don't follow the norm or the masses! TPOWER is a world record holder for a reason....don't believe the haters! I have pushed mine to the limits with 0 BSOD's or mem fails! ever!
m
0
l
October 7, 2009 6:43:09 AM

itzamedave said:
]http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad275/itzamedave/th_skeleton013.jpg

as seen here it's a big boy's toy.....air and water cooled....lol

oh and heres the memory...but good luck getting any its sold out everywhere....lol
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?i...


Many thanks for the heads-up on the memory and the ASRock. I figured that I could do better than the ASRock without breaking the bank. I've done some reading, and it looks like the Gigabyte board I mentioned is a formidable board as well with a slightly lower price than the Biostar.
What do you think about this Mushkin kit? It looks comparable to the one you linked.
:) 
m
0
l
October 7, 2009 7:25:01 AM

hirschbergt said:
Many thanks for the heads-up on the memory and the ASRock. I figured that I could do better than the ASRock without breaking the bank. I've done some reading, and it looks like the Gigabyte board I mentioned is a formidable board as well with a slightly lower price than the Biostar.
What do you think about this Mushkin kit? It looks comparable to the one you linked.
:) 


I would go with this memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to know why, read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/6gb-ddr3-x58,2372-6...

If you need proof that the quality of those modules is consistent, read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/performance-gaming-...
m
0
l

Best solution

October 7, 2009 12:29:59 PM

psycho sykes said:
This would be even better...
And Asrock boards are made by ASUSTEK but you will have to deal with a different warranty.. (I'm not saying that Asus's warranty is good!)
Read...

Medo


He picked good memory, 1333 C6 is about the same as 1600 C7. But the performance difference for either of those doesn't give them enough added value to make up for the price difference over the cheap Crucial DIMMs.
Share
October 12, 2009 6:24:31 PM

great info Crashman....thanks
m
0
l
October 13, 2009 3:55:24 AM

I ended up choosing OCZ's DDR3 PC3-10666 memory that was recommended just after the Crucial kit on THG article regarding budget triple channel kits. I look forward to the results!
m
0
l
!