Sign in with
Your question

Sound card and onboard sound not being detected

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2009 10:41:58 PM

Last night while gaming I had a high pitched sound coming from the speakers. I restarted my computer and the sound went away but now my sound card isn't detected. I tried moving into different pci slots, still no luck. I then tried re-enabling my onboard sound and that isn't being recognized. I bought a new sound card today and my computer will still not recognize it. It this my motherboard going bad? I'm still using an AMD athlon x2 64 and a socket 939 asus motherboard. Not sure if I should just replace my motherboard with something cheap thats compatible with my cpu but I'll have to buy new memory as well since it would have to be ddr2 and my current ram is ddr. Or I can upgrade my computer to something mid range and re-use my good parts, like my power supply, case, hd, video card to save money but get something faster.
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2009 1:19:14 AM

I'm not sure about the sound card problem but about replacing the motherboard:
If you bought a motherboard compatible with your CPU (socket 939) it would support DDR not DDR2. That CPU doesn't even have a controller for DDR2 only for DDR.

If you upgrade to a new midrange system you might be able to reuse (you didn't tell us your system specs so it depends) power supply, case, HDD and video card (provided it's not AGP) like you said.
m
l
!