Create RAID drive windows 7?

ladlai

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
I have installed an sataii connection card (pci-x)which 7 recognizes, and the attached HDD works. On booting, I get screen that tells me that sata drive is not a RAID drive. Upon entering its BIOS (not the MOBO's BIOS), it gives me options, which includes "create RAID Disc Drive," "Delete RAID drive," "Revert to non-RAID," "Solve mirror conflict," and "Rebuild Mirror conflict." What should I do. The drive involved was my old boot drive, before I installed a much large drive which is now my boot drive.

Solution
It might wipe the drive. What is the model of the controller you added?

Also, are you out of SATA ports on your motherboard or was there another reason for getting the add-on controller?

Do you have room on your larger boot drive to maybe backup the data temporarily? If so you could try either swapping things out so you can use a SATA port on you motherboard (if possible), or get a cheap external enclosure for your hard drive and pop it in the USB port. That way you won't have to worry about losing any data if you use the "Revert to non-RAID" option.

ladlai

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks, I do not wish to use RAID. Because my several drives are not configured as a RAID array, I, too, thought by using the Revert to non-Raid option would be best. Then, I began to read that the RAID controller card might delete the data on the HDD connected to it. I would like to avoid that. So, using "Revert to non-Raid" should not bother the data on the HDD connected to the RAID pci-x card? RighT

ladlai

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Can anyone confirm kaa0653's suggestion that by using "Revert to non-Raid" in the BIOS of a newly installed pci-X sataii/ide connection card, I will not lose any data on the HDD that is attached to that card? Upon boot, I receive an announcement that I have a RAID eligible HDD waiting for installation/configuration. Going into the card's BIOS, I find the suggestions listed in the beginning of this thread. I do not want to lose any data, and I do not want to employ RAID at all with my three HDDs, including the one installed on the card. Thanks.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
It might wipe the drive. What is the model of the controller you added?

Also, are you out of SATA ports on your motherboard or was there another reason for getting the add-on controller?

Do you have room on your larger boot drive to maybe backup the data temporarily? If so you could try either swapping things out so you can use a SATA port on you motherboard (if possible), or get a cheap external enclosure for your hard drive and pop it in the USB port. That way you won't have to worry about losing any data if you use the "Revert to non-RAID" option.

Solution

ladlai

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks kaa0653; that is helpful. The model:MM-JM363-21R, supports RAID and everything else. My MOBO had only 2 sata ports (one for HDD and DVD) and two ides. I have added the card to give 2 more satas and an additional ide. I also added a new 600 watt Power supply. Your last suggestion is the best. I shall move everything from the HDD connected to the card and revert. That shouldn't cause any problems either way. The card comes up in its BIOS as "a non-RAID card," but I want to skip the action alert on every boot. So, thank you very much.

FOLLOW UP: I did as kaa0653 suggested, moving everything on the disc attached to the new card, then going into that card's bios and hit "revert." Unsurprisingly, now that I think of it, I got a card bios message informing me of what I already knew: that that hard drive was already a "non RAID" disc. Thus and therefore, there was no way to actually revert to something that was already extant, so booting my computer will forevermore remind me that I can go into RAID and make that disc part of a RAID system. I have read so many negative comments about RAID that I am firmly convicted that I do not want or need it. Had I been able to find a sata pci X card that wasn't RAID compliant, I would have purchased that. Now I know.

Thanks again, folks. I'm older and wiser, for having made this query.