BSOD HELP PLEASE

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hey all,

I have a recently built Desktop, built in may. It was running fine, now I seem to get BSODs and in increasing frequency and I am a complete noob when it comes to them. I ran memtest and found two of my sticks were faulty, removed them and thought the problem would be solved. It didnt. So now I am worried it may be my graphics card or something. The BSOD happen at random times, while surfing the internet, on startup, shut down, or playing games. I have been getting 7e, 1e, 3b BSODs.

Windows 7 64 bit
8 gb ram DDR3 1600
AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz
MA479XTD Evo Asus motherboard
ATI Radeon 5770 GFX x2
60 GB SSD
500GB HD

Thanks for all your help.

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
thank you for the replies!

Noob Q here.....Can i run windows on one stick though? (2GB)..doesnt 64 bit need 4+?

I ran memtest on the 2 sticks, 4GB total, seperately. So 4gb once then 4bg the next time.

Memtest86 runs outside of windows. You'll have performance problems running windows 7 on 1 gig, but you don't need to run windows on 1 gig. Just put the memory back in after running memtest. Odds are if it passed with the two sticks in, they will pass individually. You can try a chkdsk like mdsiu said.

http://www.memtest.org/

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
oh thanks guys.

I ran memtest and found no errors on these sticks.

Ran Chkdsk and it seemed to work. I watched it run and it ran successfully, i think. It did not give me a prompt when I got to windows, so i assume that means it worked?

also, I have this random issue. Sometimes when I start my PC, it wont activate the monitor. I have tried a couple of monitors and when it rains it pours. Seems to come in bunches. Any thoughts on that?

thanks again for all your help.

Event 41 is because you didn't shut down properly.

The kernel power Event ID: 41 error is generated under different scenarios where the computer is shut down or restarts unexpectedly. When the computer that is running Windows is started, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was cleanly shut down. If the computer was not shut down correctly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated. In the following three scenarios, an Event 41 may be generated.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

I meant video related errors. Maybe it thought it was in sleep mode or something.