Need my Welcome Screen back

Hi,

I have 2 different login personalities on my computer, and when
Windows boots, I want to see the Welcome Screen, not the other
login screen where you specify a domain and have to press C-A-D
to login. I just want to choose my personality and go. This is
the way it was until last week when I had to change it to the
secure login to access the company network. Now I want it back,
but in Control Panel > User Accounts, there's no option to either
have a Welcome Screen or not. I also have X-Setup Pro, and
there's a step in there to get the Welcome Screen back. I've done
that several times, rebooting each time, with no effect. The
personality I'm logged on as is an Administrator.

Is there a registry setting I can change to get back my Welcome
Screen?

(I'm using WinXP Pro SP1, fully updated.)

Thanks,
Bob

maybe a program like this would do it, you can give it a try
http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 different login personalities on my computer, and when
> Windows boots, I want to see the Welcome Screen, not the other
> login screen where you specify a domain and have to press C-A-D
> to login. I just want to choose my personality and go. This is
> the way it was until last week when I had to change it to the
> secure login to access the company network. Now I want it back,
> but in Control Panel > User Accounts, there's no option to either
> have a Welcome Screen or not. I also have X-Setup Pro, and
> there's a step in there to get the Welcome Screen back. I've done
> that several times, rebooting each time, with no effect. The
> personality I'm logged on as is an Administrator.
>
> Is there a registry setting I can change to get back my Welcome
> Screen?
>
> (I'm using WinXP Pro SP1, fully updated.)
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Was the machine made into a member of a domain to access the "company
network" (there will be a third "domain" box available on the login screen)?
If so, you would have to remove it from the domain and put it back into a
workgroup. Note that this will disable all domain accounts from being able to
log in to the machine, and only local accounts will then work.

The option to get the Welcome Screen should be under control panel/user
accounts/advanced tab - it is called something like "require ctrl-alt-del to
log in" - you turn this off to turn the Welcome Screen on.

If you have been logging into a domain, there may have been some group
policies applied from the domain that will override your settings. If you
don't change these correctly, you can create large problems.

In article <ekugfvvgEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Bob Mathews"
<bob1@dessci.com> wrote:
|Hi,
|
|I have 2 different login personalities on my computer, and when
|Windows boots, I want to see the Welcome Screen, not the other
|login screen where you specify a domain and have to press C-A-D
|to login. I just want to choose my personality and go. This is
|the way it was until last week when I had to change it to the
|secure login to access the company network. Now I want it back,
|but in Control Panel > User Accounts, there's no option to either
|have a Welcome Screen or not. I also have X-Setup Pro, and
|there's a step in there to get the Welcome Screen back. I've done
|that several times, rebooting each time, with no effect. The
|personality I'm logged on as is an Administrator.
|
|Is there a registry setting I can change to get back my Welcome
|Screen?
|
|(I'm using WinXP Pro SP1, fully updated.)
|
|Thanks,
|Bob

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"qdv" <qdv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> maybe a program like this would do it, you can give it a try
> http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
>

> "Bob Mathews" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have 2 different login personalities on my computer, and when
> > Windows boots, I want to see the Welcome Screen, not the other
> > login screen where you specify a domain and have to press C-A-D
> > to login. I just want to choose my personality and go. This is
> > the way it was until last week when I had to change it to the
> > secure login to access the company network. Now I want it back,
> > but in Control Panel > User Accounts, there's no option to either
> > have a Welcome Screen or not. I also have X-Setup Pro, and
> > there's a step in there to get the Welcome Screen back. I've done
> > that several times, rebooting each time, with no effect. The
> > personality I'm logged on as is an Administrator.
> >
> > Is there a registry setting I can change to get back my Welcome
> > Screen?
> >
> > (I'm using WinXP Pro SP1, fully updated.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

and then again, since you've been on the 'copmany network' there is a good
chance you've inherited the company's Group Policy Settings.
You might want to fire up gpedit.msc and go into Computer Configuration,
Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options and
look for an entry called: Interactive Logon: Do not require Ctrl-Alt-Del.
It could very well be disabled, hence forcing the C-A-D logon. Try enabling
it.

hth

george

On 17-Aug-2004, nospam.please@ualberta.ca wrote:

> Was the machine made into a member of a domain to access the
> "company network" (there will be a third "domain" box available
> on the login screen)? If so, you would have to remove it from
> the
> domain and put it back into a workgroup. Note that this will
> disable all domain accounts from being able to log in to the
> machine, and only local accounts will then work.

Thanks, and thanks to George for the "group policy" suggestion.
Turns out all I had to do was remove the domain and add myself
back to my home workgroup (System Properties > Computer Name >
Change).

Bob