Conexant High Definition Audio Win7 Gateway Laptop

nearvana

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I just got a new Gateway Laptop running Windows 7 with Conexant High Definition Audio. I am trying to find/enable Stereo Mix option in the recording. I read somewhere about using Virtual Audio Cable, but didn't find a version suggesting Windows 7 compatibility. There is no Stereo Mix option in the recording to even enable, only a Conexant Mic with 'show disabled, show disconnected hardwares', both checked . After reading a bit, it seems many companies have taken the stereo mix option out of the hardware altogether. Anyone have any suggestions of how to get around this or fix this? Thanks in advance.

nearvana

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
well, i have a custom built desk top as well. it runs xp.
the stereo mix, for me, enables me to play music thru my sound card, even when wearing a headset. other people may need or want the stereo mix to record their music etc.
i was told it could have been left out of the newer systems, due to copyright laws, etc. i'm not trying to steal music or anything, simply play music thru my soundcard for others to listen to....

nearvana

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
what do you mean i've enabled 'mobo(motherboard?)' & dedicated sound card? i'm running the sound card that came with the system. it doesn't give me extra options previously seen with other on board sound cards running xp os.....

wasagakid

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
You won't find it in the recording area.

I downloaded Freecorder program from CNET and it doesn't need stereo mix to work.
Its not a pretty program but it will record and sound. After you install it go into the settings from the Start button and update the folder you want to save your recordings.
It just starts automatically when it hears sound, then hover over the little screen and you will see STOP RECORDING appear and just click it when you want it to stop.

nearvana

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
hmm. basically, when i skype & am wearing a headset, i want to play someone a song, without having to disable my voice. this is what stereomix was able to do. you could stream music while your voice was still enabled. it doesn't work with a usb headset, it has to be with the pink & green cables. but i can't do it at all on win7. was hoping to find a program to install that would allow me to do this...does the program you suggest do this?

nearvana

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

so the website sent me an email saying my thread was no longer active, taken from the email, "If you did not get the answer you were seeking, we suggest that you add details to your question. By doing so, you will get renewed attention to your issue.
Thank you for contributing the Tom's Hardware community
The Tom's Hardware community team"

I can't select a best answer, because apparently this isn't an important issue for most people, however, this being the internet, i thought someone would know how to remedy this. please read the thread in it's entirety for additional details to questions asked....& ty to everyone who has taken the time to read & answer (or ask).