Windows XP harddrive will it work?

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys i am about to order the parts for my new extreme budget build, and i have this older SATA harddrive (64 gigs) that has windows XP installed on it, since i don't have the cash to buy a new OS i was wondering if it would work if i just plug it in and use the 500 gig HDD i ordered as storage? also i have a windows XP CD key but not the disk

Solution
From personal experience plugging an drive with existing OS inyo a new system usually does not work very well because you constantly get BSOD due to driver issues. Also your OS might not boot up since it is missing the drivers for the new SATA controller.

reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. make sure you have the chipset drivers for XP before you start.
From personal experience plugging an drive with existing OS inyo a new system usually does not work very well because you constantly get BSOD due to driver issues. Also your OS might not boot up since it is missing the drivers for the new SATA controller.

reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. make sure you have the chipset drivers for XP before you start.

Solution

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

is there a way i can get the windows XP CD? i have the old copy of the reformating disc but that comes wth all the drivers from my previous computers parts, can i still use that? or can i download windows XP and just use my CD key on the side of my computer?