Uncertainity whether it is Xeon or P4 HT

Asiatic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Q. i got a dual 3.6 ghz xeon along with NCCH-DL motherboard of Asus. the problem is when i run CPU Id on Vista it says Xeon and on XP OS it says P4 HT.
Q. My PC is unbranded and it gets restart all the time depite adequate ventilation. Can any one let me know the reason of restart

That is possibly because XP and Vista use different strings in the CPUID flags to identify the CPU. I'll use my file server's 2.66 GHz "Prestonia" Xeons as an example.

Here's the full CPU info output from one CPU (there are four since there are two CPUs w/HyperThreading enabled, but they're identical save for the physical ID and APIC ID numbers.)

[cpp]user@localhost:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 2657.881
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips : 5315.76
clflush size : 64
power management: [/cpp]

The important parts here are the model name, CPU family, model, and stepping. If the OS looks at the model name, it will see the CPU as a Xeon. If the OS looks at the vendor ID/family/model/stepping, the OS sees the flags for a 130 nm NetBurst CPU (GenuineIntel 15-2-*). Xeons are a lot less common than P4s, so the OS that uses this method would call the CPU a P4 Northwood rather than a Prestonia Xeon. The reason the OS uses the CPUID flags instead of the model name is that there are are a lot of Xeons with different instruction capabilities. A PII-based Xeon will not be able to execute SSE2 code for example, while a Nehalem-based Xeon will be able to do that as well as SSE3, SSSE3, and SSE4.1/4.2. The flags can't tell the difference between server and desktop chips, but since the chips are similar silicon and have the exact same instruction capabilities, it doesn't need to.

Q. My PC is unbranded and it gets restart all the time depite adequate ventilation. Can any one let me know the reason of restart

There could be many:

1. Undersized or failing power supply
2. Dust buildup in the CPU heatsinks or power supply causing a thermal shutdown
3. Memory errors
4. An intermittent short in the power switch or other electrical part (shorts will usually cause the PSU to shut off)
5. OS/driver/software errors, if you have the computer set to reboot immediately after a BSOD
6. Improperly-installed CPU heatsinks
7. Degradation of the thermal grease on the CPU heatsinks
8. Undersized CPU heatsinks or a CPU heatsink fan that spins at too low of an RPM
9. Excessively high case or intake air temperature

Asiatic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
dear now i got the problem for restart
actually the guy from whom i bought it , he overclocked to 3.6 ghz from 2.8 ghz
and when i turn on my pc it says
(Main processor:2.8 ghz
Logic processor:2.8 ghz
3.6 ghz intel xeon )

and despite all the time restart its overclocked processors got burnt (faulty)

Yeah, overclocking by a large amount like that guy did can certainly do that. I'd betcha he pin-modded the CPU to get it to do that as server motherboards are typically very resistant to overclocking. Just for kicks, remove the CPUs from the socket and look at the pins with a magnifyng glass. If you see some with paint or other stuff on them or little tiny wires tying pins together, you were the victim of a pin-modder.

Fortunately for you, your motherboard probably still works just fine and replacement CPUs for your unit are cheap. Most 533 FSB and 800 FSB socket 604 Xeons will work in that board, including CPUs that are stock-clocked at up to 3.8 GHz. You can get two 3.0-3.2 GHz 2 MB L2 cache 800 FSB Xeons for your unit for about $30 off eBay.