Your question

Rediculous boot fails, help plz!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2012 4:49:38 PM

Hello,

first of all, I'll give my system specs and afterwards I'll ask the question:

CPU: i5 650 clarkdale 3,2Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 rev 1.0
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 1333Mhz 2x 2GB (DIMM 1 & 3)
GPU: Gigabyte HD5770 (with the batmobile cover cap)
PSU: Stay Quiet! 550W
HDD: 1 Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HD in AHCI mode

Allright, so I've been studying alot about overclocking, ranging from the meaning of all sorts of things like QPI, BCLK, Core, Uncore, iGPU, RAM timings but for some reason my system wont boot up when i raise my BCLK to lets say 166Mhz (cpu multix24) to give me a clean 4ghz OC. It doesnt matter what I do, enabling LLC, setting the voltages to recommended settings and lowering my RAM speed to 1000Mhz, loosening timings, it all doesnt help. For a time I would be able to boot up but i'd get BSOD's ranging from a faulty Hard drive to failing RAM and all sorts of things like that.

I don't know what to do anymore, when i set my system to stock speeds there's nothing at all wrong with it. I bought me a performa10x cpu cooler and i'm running at about 15-20 degrees on both cores here... you're not telling me that I cant overclock this. So my question is, what is bottlenecking my system here? the RAM? It doesnt have a heatsink but I ran on 166Mhz in the past too, so I really dont know whats going on here...

If anyone has any idea what I should do or maybe send something, plz let me know.
January 7, 2012 6:25:09 PM

I have some additional info too. Everything on my system has the very latest drivers and firmware, all firmware flashing were succesfull and my bios is the latest F11 from gigabyte.

My GPU is also a bit overclocked to 900/1300 from 850/1200, but from as far that I've read on the net, and from my own experience, this card can easily cope with those speeds.

So in the past, I've managed to OC my system to 3,98 Ghz and it was stable in windows, but when i played games one of the above mentioned BSOD's would occur. So what i'm thinking is that its either my RAM or maybe my PSU. I've read that the clarkdale's power consumption doesnt increase that much while OC'ing up to 4Ghz, its only afterwards that it really starts to consume alot more power. anyway, that was to be read on some article from anandtech.

If there is anyone that has good experience with the Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 rev 1.0 and maybe in combination with a clarkdale cpu, and if all this gives you a hunch on what could be the problem, your help would be really appreciated.
January 10, 2012 9:20:58 PM

Right, you can delete this post i got me some XMS3 RAM and it all runs like a charm now,

200Mhz Bclk
1600Mhz XMP profile 9-9-9-24-2T
cpu locked at 4,4Ghz (22x200)
Temps are great too, 26°C idle, around 40-45°C while priming.
And the best part of all is I can just leave all the voltages on Auto besides my QPI voltage (+0,2V), i upped that a bit since the RAM XMP works on 1,65V, and I wouldn't want to violate the 0,5V rule between those two.
!