laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
My computer seem to be getting louder and it getting annoying. Now there is sometimes a ringing noise. Just wondering if there is anything to reduce the sound from the computer? was think maybe putting some foam around the inside of the case.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
if it's getting louder, it probably means that you have a fan that is failing. Some lower quality fans have a mean time before failure of 20,000 hours, and even cheaper ones may be so low they can't even claim that. If you've had your computer for a couple years, it's probably a fan dying. You could try to clean the blades and housing, that might fix the noise short term, but a new fan would be better. One exception though, if it's the power supply fan that's going out, don't try to change it out. Just get a new power supply unless you want to risk damaging your computer.

if its been getting louder over time it oftn means theres dust clogging the heat sinks , so the fans run faster to compensate .

Open the case and use compressed air to clean inside . Electronic shops sell cans designed to do this .

DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner no matter how tempting it seems

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
computer is prob max a year old, its the antec nine hundred so I got like 5 antec fans in it plus the cpu fan and my corsair power supply fan. I will do the compress air since i do see some dust in it.