Sign in with
Your question

There is a green light on my motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2010 12:05:56 AM

Hello,
if the green light is on when I plug the computer in does that mean the motherboard is working. The computer still won't power up at all, and I've even got a new PSU and I've used a different power button on the front of the case and still nothing. I believe the motherboard us an Intel Augsburg 915G.
a c 229 V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 12:28:07 AM

It means that standby power is available. It doesn't mean that the motherboard works or that the power switch is connected correctly.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:20:11 AM

Ok, I've confirmed that the power switch is connected properly and it does work ( tried it on a different computer), i unplugged and reseated everything. I still have the green standby light on the motherboard how can i test the cpu? and what else should i check that is relatively easy to check while i'm at it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 22, 2010 2:47:48 PM

The LED means that the small, always on standby power supply in the PSU is working. Basically, all it tells you is that the PSU is plugged into a live wall socket and the PSU is turned on. It has little to do with the circuits that provide operating power to the computer.

The bare minimum you need to (sort of) test the CPU is a motherboard, CPU & HSF, PSU, internal speaker, and a way to turn on the the computer.

If the PSU, motherboard, and CPU are working, you should hear a continuous series of long single beeps.
m
l
!