Help! Issues with Crysis and FarCry 2

G

So here's the deal. Whenever I play either Crysis or FarCry 2 I will get about an hour into the game and then both will just flat crash. Crysis usually freezes up and I have to restart my computer and FarCry 2 just cuts to black and goes to the Desktop. This doesn't happen for any of my other games like F.E.A.R. 2, Mass Effect, Battlefield 2142, WOW, ect... So my assumption is maybe a DX10 issue? but I have a DX10 compliant GPU... Please help me, I just want to play the games I built my computer to play.

My current Specs.

- 700W ATX12V v2.2 Rocketfish PSU
- Raidmax Sagitta 2 Mid Size Tower w/ 3 120MM fans
- ASRock A780GXE/128M 2 x PCI e x16, AM2/AM2+ Mobo
- 8.00GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 Memory
- AMD Phenom II 940 3.0Ghz AM2+ CPU w/ Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink
- Crossfire 2 x ATI XFX HD4850 512MB GPU
- 1TB WD Cavair Black 7200rpm 32MB Cache Harddrive
- 2 x Sony DVD/RW 24x
- Acer P201w 1680x1050 Monitor

BTW, both games still crashed before I put the second Graphics card in.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
There is no Rocketfish model certified at 700W according to 80 Plus PSU, therefore we must conclude that your PSU is the problem. It appears the first model is rated at 700 input watts, but only outputs 550 watts. With two 4850 in CrossFire, I would assume you need more than that. Also, regardless of its 80 PLUS certification I do not believe Rocketfish is a very trusted name in power supplies. I'd recommend sticking to brands like Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec (Earthwatts in particular), and OCZ (ModXStream in particular). Have you tried using another power supply, and do you have one you could if you haven't?

Further, you may want to monitor your case, CPU, and GPU temperatures for anything out of the ordinary. Have you overclocked anything at all? What operating system are you using? Since you're talking about DirectX 10, I will assume Vista. In Vista you may want to look at Performance Monitor and Event Viewer which provide in-depth information on errors, both of which can be found in administrative tools. As a side note, I know you didn't ask, but for gaming it would have been better to cut back to 4 GB of memory and make it DDR3 for probably the same price or less.