Push Pull Configuration Producing More Heat Than Pull Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two Thermaltake ThunderBlade fans for my computer. (one for the front and one for the front of my radiator to run a push/pull configuration) My Stock Corsair fan runs at 1700RPM and my new fan runs at 1800RPM, so because they were close in RPM, I decided they would be good with each other after doing some research.

I put the fan on the radiator and started getting hotter temps than before when I ran just my stock Corsair cooler. Temps are about 5C hotter with the Push/Pull configuration. I really want to get this working properly. Does anyone know why this is not working properly?

How can I get this to cool better than my Pull configuration?

Solution
The air flow has changed from laminar flow to turbulent flow. Heat transfer is better in laminar flow.

Make sure that the pull fan CFM is 5% to 10% higher than the push fan. Then try to find the fastest speed at which the air flow will still be laminar (not turbulent). This will yield the ideal heat transfer.

Now check temps.
The air flow has changed from laminar flow to turbulent flow. Heat transfer is better in laminar flow.

Make sure that the pull fan CFM is 5% to 10% higher than the push fan. Then try to find the fastest speed at which the air flow will still be laminar (not turbulent). This will yield the ideal heat transfer.

Now check temps.

Solution

Yes that would be the start.

After that you must ensure that the CFMs (fan RPMs) are such that the air flow pattern is laminar and not turbulent. This will mean adjusting the fan RPMs upwards or downwards until you get the max heat transfer and the air flow is still laminar.

I must mention that if the fans are reversed (high air flow in push and low air flow in pull) then the air pressure will be increased over the radiator fins, and this is good.

You must try different combinations as long as the air flow is laminar and not turbulent. In a lab these things can be measured, but at home experimentation is the only way.

HD, the problem you ran into is not unusual. More fans do not always equal better cooling. In my case, compared to a single fan, push-pull did not help. Side case fans did not help. You go with what gives you the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.