Huge Range for Voltages?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I have a GA-P55A-UD3, 860, 4890 and a FSP FX700-GLN 700W power supply. I had some trouble getting my computer to work today because of a "Power Error" (via post beeps). When I finally got it working, I ran the Everest Stability Test. Here are the voltage results after 10 minutes. These voltages seem strange. Is there anything to worry about?

..................Min...........Max.............Average
CPU Core....1.14..........1.18............1.17
+3.3V.........3.34..........3.36............3.35
+5V............4.95..........4.97.............4.96
+12V..........4.16..........16.13...........8.21

Check out the +12V.

The 4.16 and 16.13 volts for the +12 are invalid. That Does not mean that your PSU is good, Just means you need a better monitoring program (might try CPUID HWMonitor, Does not report my +12 P55 gigabyte board or try using the Hardware monitor in easytune 6 as it seems to report a corect value for the +12V)- Better still use a volt meter and measure. At 4.16, your video card and cpu would not funtion.

It is a good possibility that your PSU is not stable = it just that you can not go by INVALID readings.

notty22

Distinguished
GA-P55-UD4p and Everest is the only monitoring program that detects my 12v voltage correctly. HW monitor is totally wrong. Do you have the latest version of Everest ? I'm thinking there are problems because these m/b's are pretty new.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I've switched to my laptop now. If no hardware program is accurate, how is a sure way to tell if it's faulty? Is it safe to turn it on to test it? I don't have any meter.

Also, since installing my motherboard I've only been able to use 2GB of my RAM? Windows says "4GB (2GB usable), and my bios say one stick is not enabled. I can't find any options to enable it, I just thought that it may have something to do with this.

Gigabyte has a utility - easytune6. Intsall and run, it has a tab for hardware monitoring and it displays the +12V correctly. Once you have it install, right click the ICON and open with admin. This will put it in your task bar (lower Rt corner).

Run prime 95 for a load.