bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hello,

I recently upgraded my MOBO CPU and RAM from AMD 64FX-62, 4GB Corsair 800mhz, Asus M2n32
to
INTEL i7, 16GB Vengance 1600mhz, Asus P8Z68 v lx
The hard drive is a HD501LJ and has the previous installation of XP still on it.
I tried a fresh install of XP once I installed all my new gear and it gets to setting up windows, the screen goes black, then I get blue screen.
The XP disc is genuine and the hard drive is visible in EFI BIOS.
What's going wrong?

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

4) Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, the system resources that an individual piece of hardware is configured to use in Device Manager should be set to default. Non-default hardware settings have been known to cause a Blue Screen of Death.

5) Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.

SteveDesilets

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I WISH I HAD SOLUTION. MY BSOD IS AUDIO DRIVER RELATED. ALL AUDIO DRIVERS ARE THE LATEST.

iF I CLICK ENABLE ON ANY AUDIO DEVICES IN DEVICE MANAGER, INSTANT BSOD.. IT'S LIKE THIS BSOD DOES NOT WANT MY COMPUTER TO HAVE ANY SOUND. FOR 4 YEARS NO PROBLEM, UNTIL THIS WEEK. NOW, I'M SCREWED.

ANY THOUGHTS? i LOOKED UP SOLUTIONS, BUT NO SOLUTIONS POSTED ON THE WEB WORKED.

NOW i CAN'T BOOT INTO WINDOWS 7. THE AUDIO DRIVERS CAUSE A BSOD ON BOOTUP.