Creative XFi Unsuported in Windows 7

karvindon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I have a Creative XFi Exterior Sound card installed on my Windows 7 (64) bit system.
Device manager is telliong me the SB XFi is there, I have down loaded every driver, I've checked everwhere I can but i still get this message: -

Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system.
Please ensure your product is properly installed before running this Setup Program.
I'm getting the feeling I'm being conned.
Any help would be appreciated.
Take care,
Derek

smander

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Hi!
I got the same exact problem when i got my card. it was a bad card was defect because i returned it and the new one is working super fine. I've tested everything from uninstall to re-format and always detected by windows with a high defenition sound card but when installing drivers it say not supported. Replace it and i'm sure it will work. Because now my x-fi fatality pro is amazing in windows 7 and coupled with a z-5500 speaker hehe!!!

karvindon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hi
I can understand what your saying but I have two computer and the Creative card worked ok on the computer with XP so I would guess the card is ok. I’ve had the external hard drive for about 18 months so I would find difficulty in getting the card replace.
But thank you for your help.
Take care,
Derek

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
try a different USB slot (I'm assuming an external sound card is connected via USB). If you're using a front port switch to a rear motherboard port. If you're using USB3 switch to a USB2 slot. If you're using a USB hub connect directly to the motherboard instead.

I don't understand your comment saying you have had the external hard drive for 18 months. Hard drives have nothing to do with sound cards, unless you meant to say you've had the Xfi sound card for 18 months?

karvindon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hi Yes I meant to say I have had the XFi external card for about 18 months. I'll try a different USB Port though. Its in a USB Port in the front of the tower at present.
I don't understand " If you're using a USB hub connect directly to the motherboard instead" I can't remember a usb port on the mother board.
As I weas saying, all the drivers are in but Windows 7 don't know its there.
Thanks
Derek

karvindon

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Carried out a clean boot as per Creative instructions
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=6738

Uninstalled “almost all” Creative Drivers with Add and Remove programs.

One wouldn’t uninstall: - Creative Consol Launcher Product Version 2.61
Restarted Computer and tried again but it wouldn’t uninstall, when I checked the size of the file there was no size there.

To finish I checked for Creative Technology Limited files in Uninstall or change a program and apart from the Consol Launcher there weren’t any.
Next I switched the computer off, plugged in the Creative XFi sound card and restarted.
When it started it said in the bottom right hand corner it had found the FXi and the device software had been successfully installed.

I downloaded the three files in your email, restarting after every file. When I downloaded the Creative Consol Launcher it overwrote the old version that wouldn’t uninstall, at the end when I restarted for the final time Windows 7 had recognised it.
The answer to the probleam after uninstalling all of the Creative files then doing a "Clean Boot".
The clean boot was quite easy to do.
I will leave this running for a while then close it down.
I hope I have helped.
Take care,
Derek

gyurika

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
This should have gone after the first post of not recognizing... sorry...

Haha. I know this. I just did this... What happens is, that when you - assuming you have uninstalled everything related to the card or it is a fresh install - restart the computer, then try to open device manager as soon as you can to learn what I did.
First Windows will install an "other" multimedia audio whatever, will be clueless and butcher it anyway. You have to be vigilant though and click on "do not check for driver on the Internet".... Then you think it is your time you try to install and you will get the message you reported. However if you sit tight for quite some time, suddenly Windows in the background will figure what card you have, will properly display it in the sound and whatever folder, and tries to install something you just don't care about. When it is done then you may start to install and will see the card, that by now is displayed in Device Manager. If you do this before it is recognized by windows it will not see it because it relies on Windows. Once it installs then the "other" multimedia stuff will have vanished. SHAME on creative that they cannot properly describe how to uninstall or how to install.