Hardy_eb

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hi, I've been searching all over the net like crazy and i still cant find a clear answer.

I live in NZ and its pretty hard to find a PCIe 1.0 x 8 graphics card.

I've read different forums saying that modern graphics card and run on PCIe 1.0. Will it work with my short stubby PCIe x 8 is my question. If it does will there be significant speed loss.

Latest graphics from raedon or Nvdia are all asking for a pcie 2.0 slot. I just want a somewhat latest card where i can run HD dvd and play some high graphics games.

Currently I bought a HIS Raedon 4350 PCI and its terrible running a DVD and real choppy frame rates with a lot of games. I dont want to buy a whole new PC yet. My pc is a dell 3ghz and its good enough for other applications other than games and movies.

If anyone can help that will be great!

chers

ancient hardware owner

Hardy_eb

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hi,

I've got a dell dimension 3100/e310, 2gb memory, 80gb hdd, the 512mb 4350. Its got 2 pci one pcie 1.0.

Bought it pretty cheap years ago, thought i upgrade it later on just to find out it uses pcie v1.0. Also would like to know if its actually worth to hunt the www for a PCIe v1.0 graphics card.

thanks heaps

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I hate to say it,but your 4350 is not meant for gaming,or much else for that matter.Just purchase a newer card like the 4850 and you should be good to go.And all 2.0 video cards are backwards compatible with 1.1 slots.

Dahak