Sign in with
Your question

Can i overclock NB without a multiplier? (phenom II)

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2012 11:45:05 PM

So i think i have reached my limit on overclocking my Phenom II 955 C3 @ 4.0Ghz due to my NB. I would love to try and raise my NB multiplier but... i don't have one... These are the NB options i have.

CPU/NB Frequency
CPU/NB Voltage

and then

NB Voltage
NB 1.8V Voltage
which i read to leave these 2 on auto.

I figure i just raise my CPU/NB freq to what i need but what about voltages? should i use the same chart for multipliers/voltages as i would with my CPU/NB freq/voltage? CPU @4.0Ghz = 2539MHz/1.25v NB? (cpu freq x 2 = ?? / 3.15 = target NB freq)

Another thing... At 4.0 Ghz my computer can take about 1 1/2 hours of prime95 blend before bsod. But i have NEVER had a bsod or overclocking error when i didn't expect it (playing games or benchmarking). and i have had my computer running at 4.0Ghz for about a year. Is there something else that gives you a more realistic test for overclocking? because i believe most wouldn't consider a 1 1/2 hour prime95 test stable, but yet it is.

Edit:
To help out with my question, i figured i should give some more info. I have the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 with a 790X NB chip.

And here's a pic of my bios settings. Ram is at stock (9-9-9-24-2T)
January 8, 2012 1:13:26 AM

I'd monitor the temperatures of the CPU. If I were to guess, I'd say that the bsod happens because the CPU overheats after ~1.5 hours of being run at full load. Many games these days are running at far less than 100%, so the CPU likely doesn't get as hot.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 1:33:16 AM

thegodsend said:
Another thing... At 4.0 Ghz my computer can take about 1 1/2 hours of prime95 blend before bsod. But i have NEVER had a bsod or overclocking error when i didn't expect it (playing games or benchmarking). and i have had my computer running at 4.0Ghz for about a year. Is there something else that gives you a more realistic test for overclocking? because i believe most wouldn't consider a 1 1/2 hour prime95 test stable, but yet it is.

As killersquirel mentioned - yeah you'd better be watching your temps. But assuming your temps are fine when the prime95 error occurs, the simple fact is that your CPU/RAM spit out an erroneous output that a fully stable system wouldn't. But you have achieved what is to you an acceptable overclock from a stability standpoint and as long as those temps aren't bad then who cares if someone else thinks its unstable? If its worked for you then its worked. Sorry can't comment about your specific question though - no experience with your chip.
Related resources
January 8, 2012 2:02:08 AM

my CPU and GPU are liquid cooled. at max load i have yet to see it reach 50c (CPU) so its not the CPU temp. Mobo temp is what id have to worry about because i want a higher OC if possible (if not then w/e, ill have to get a sandy or ivy bridge :p ).
January 8, 2012 2:13:42 AM

Is it a 955 or 955BE? Also, what mobo are you using?
January 8, 2012 2:17:38 AM

killersquirel11 said:
Is it a 955 or 955BE? Also, what mobo are you using?

BE C3. I'm using the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo 790X Chipset

Oh! and when i set my Vcore to anything over 1.55v both Core Temp and CPU-Z read different voltages normally under 1.55. Im guessing its reading the voltages wrong because they never come up with the same voltage. It could be my PSU but... i dont think it is... or maybe id just like to believe it isn't.
January 8, 2012 2:21:28 AM

From http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629...

that guy's running at 4GHz
Core speed: 4000 Mhz
Multi: 20x
Sus Speed: 200 Mhz
Vcore: 1.4225v

CPU-NB Freq: 2600 Mhz
CPU-NB Volt: 1.225v

HT Link: 2000 Mhz

Ram: DDR3 4096 MB
DRam Frequency: 800 MHz 9-9-9-24-33-1T
Voltage: 1.6v

Temps:
Idle: 31C
Load: 52C

Although granted he is using a core multiplier rather than NB freq modification. I'd try mimicing the rest of his settings and seeing how it runs.
!