jameslong

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Hello

For a while now, i have been unable to use a microphone with my computers onboard sound card. It used to work fine, but now, i plug in my microphone and cannot get it to work in any application. I have tried it in Windows XP and Windows 7. Same problem with both. I have tried different microphones, I have even tried using a different sound card (PCI). None of these worked. I get sound through my speakers and headset fine. My onboard card was a realtek something or other, so i have the software utility for that. My PCI card is a very old creative soundblaster.
Can someone help me please! It's driving me mad. Really mad. You'd Be surprised. Honestly, Nutty.

I am thinking it could be a sound codec or Something along those lines, But seeing as i installed Windows 7 yesterday i think that it is possibly not a software problem. However i don't see how it can be a hardware problem due to me using another sound card and that not working either. Ergh. So annoying...

Thanks in advance

r_manic

Administrator
To make sure it isn't a problem with your software or any sound card you've used, or even the microphones you've used, try removing your sound card and using your motherboard's onboard audio hardware. You might also want to check if your sound card was enabled within your mobo's BIOS in the first place.

jameslong

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I have tried all of those options to no avail. I used an old sound card to check if it was my onboard sound that wasn't working, and it didn't give me any feedback from the microphone either. They both notice a microphone is plugged in, but won't give me any sound from it. However, they both play sound from itunes, games or whatever fine, it's JUST the microphone that doesn't work :( . Thanks

budmonk

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
if you check online you'll see windows 7 an mics just play well together.your not alone thousands of people are haveing mic problems after the install of windows 7 and no one clear solution is in sight

jameslong

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
hmm. But it didn't work in XP either. However, that was only after the install of Windows 7, so perhaps it corrupts a neccesary file or something...? Bummer. Have to buy a USB fatal1ty headset or new webcam, just to get a microphone working. Grrr