SATA Optiarch burn fails

LordRipper

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi guys,

Once again I'm faced with the dreaded CRC/DMA error on my Optiarc DVDRW. I have trawled many sites looking for a solution I found last time which worked for me with no avail. (Should've bookmarked it I know but hey we all make mistakes hehe). The drive is SATA and it's not in PIO mode or any of that. As before all settingss are fine, it just won't complete the burn once it gets around a quarter way through. The solution someone posted on a forum involved simply deleting a registry key which effectively reset the amount of errors that occur before the drive stops burning. Does anyone here know what I'm referring to and can tell me what it was I was told to do before. It was a 10 second fix and allowed me to burn for several months more until today. Uninstalling the drive and rebooting does not work.

Thanks in advance ;)

LordRipper

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Ok no replies at all after this long is surprising. So with a lot of searching I found this reg key which I deleted (worked before) and then I started getting a different error about unable to generate borders. So I figured ok the drive has developed a fault so I decided to replace the drive with a new one and after installing it the burn process is still failing, either reporting a crc error or just burn process failed.

This is becoming massively annoying as now I don't know what the hell is wrong. Drive is not in PIO mode. I use the same branded media all the time which it's never had problems with before, and am not exceeding the speed for that media. I've tried different ISO's in case it was one of the files I was trying to burn that was the problem. Still no joy; Uninstalled and re-installed the drive. I'm used to the behaviour of these Sony drives as this is now my 5th. Why O Why is it that burners don't last much beyond a year before they stop working properly?! I've gone through one every 14 months or so for like 10 years, and I only burn a couple of discs or so per week!

Please can someone help me ?