Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Have a question about i7's

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 3, 2009 4:13:36 AM

Hey all.

Im sure this has been answered a million times but I just cant seem to find it anywhere! lol

So im looking to build a new PC. I want to do an i7 build. I really like the core i7 840 (2.8Ghz) I wanted to get that and OC it to maybe 3.0 or maybe higher if I could?

But Im seeing alot of people being able to clock the i7 920 (2.66 Ghz) to 4.0

Really what im getting at...Is whats a better Mobo to get a 1366 soc or an 1156? most 1366's I see have 6 memory slots and seem to have SLI/Crossfire capabilitys

My goal is to have two GPU's and A i7 at 4.0 or even 3.5

Any advice would be appreciated.

More about : question

October 3, 2009 4:08:41 PM

LGA 1156 is the cheaper option and runs dual channel (2GB, 4GB or 8GB), LGA 1366 runs triple channel (3GB, 6GB or 12GB), you'll only need 4GB in today's world and the i5 750 (for LGA 1156) offers better value for your money than the i7 860.

In short: go LGA 1156 with an i5 750, with 4GB and get a motherboard that will run the PCI-E speeds in crossfire as x8, x8 instead of x16, x4.

Unless you really need i7 (are you a scientist running simluations) it's too expensive and won't improve framerates.
m
0
l
October 3, 2009 4:28:37 PM

^+1. Or unless you need a 6 core CPU down the road, no need to go LGA1366. Also, unless you want Hyperthreading just go i5.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 4, 2009 3:34:41 AM

Honestly, most likely you won't need hyperthreading, so save more money by going i5 and LGA 1156
m
0
l
October 4, 2009 5:13:23 AM

Thanks for your opinions guys! Much appreciated. So your saying go with an i5 at 2.66ghz. How high an OC do you think I could get with this on Air cooling? Im not overclock expert. I plan on just doing a bit of reading on the whole subject.

I also wonder...Would going with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 do better than the i5? I was going to try out an i7 2.66ghz and OC to as high as i could go on Air cooling. But If you think the i5 would out preform the Phenom x4 965 I'll look into that
m
0
l

Best solution

October 4, 2009 5:31:30 AM

TheGreatDew said:
Thanks for your opinions guys! Much appreciated. So your saying go with an i5 at 2.66ghz. How high an OC do you think I could get with this on Air cooling? Im not overclock expert. I plan on just doing a bit of reading on the whole subject.

I also wonder...Would going with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 do better than the i5? I was going to try out an i7 2.66ghz and OC to as high as i could go on Air cooling. But If you think the i5 would out preform the Phenom x4 965 I'll look into that


I believe the i5 will match or outperform the 965, overclocking the i5 isn't really necessary, unless you have extremely powerful graphic cards, in that case anything above 3.0 ~ 3.2ghz won't improve gaming performance anymore.
Share
October 4, 2009 5:37:30 AM

I really want a radeon hd 5870. Id love to get two and Crossfire em but i KNOWWW thats overkill! Lol!
m
0
l
October 4, 2009 5:56:14 AM

TheGreatDew said:
Hey all.

Im sure this has been answered a million times but I just cant seem to find it anywhere! lol

So im looking to build a new PC. I want to do an i7 build. I really like the core i7 840 (2.8Ghz) I wanted to get that and OC it to maybe 3.0 or maybe higher if I could?

But Im seeing alot of people being able to clock the i7 920 (2.66 Ghz) to 4.0

Really what im getting at...Is whats a better Mobo to get a 1366 soc or an 1156? most 1366's I see have 6 memory slots and seem to have SLI/Crossfire capabilitys

My goal is to have two GPU's and A i7 at 4.0 or even 3.5

Any advice would be appreciated.


It must be asked, what will be the uses that this new build will be expected to do?
m
0
l
October 4, 2009 6:06:09 AM

It is a good question, because I didn't say, haha my bad.

I plan on doing FPS gaming/MMO Gaming

m
0
l
October 4, 2009 8:06:59 AM

TheGreatDew said:
It is a good question, because I didn't say, haha my bad.

I plan on doing FPS gaming/MMO Gaming



AMD triple-core. Good MB, but not too good (pick based on features you NEED) Kingston value ram, a GPU based on the resolution that you will actually be using. Forget 'future-proofing', there's no such thing. Whatever you get now will be out of date in 6 months or less.
m
0
l
October 4, 2009 1:12:38 PM

croc said:
AMD triple-core. Good MB, but not too good (pick based on features you NEED) Kingston value ram, a GPU based on the resolution that you will actually be using. Forget 'future-proofing', there's no such thing. Whatever you get now will be out of date in 6 months or less.


I second this advice!
m
0
l
!