FPS problems after BFG GTX 8800 OC crapped out

TheSicilian

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hello, I am looking for serious input about my dilemna,...here it is.
My system is: Striker Extreme mb, 2-corsair sticks(1G ea), GTX 8800 OC GPU, Volcano 650W modular power supply, Intel core 2 duo. Smilodon tower, samsung 22" lcd, Fatality1 sound card, Raptor HD.
Ok, my system used to scream, but when I started losing video at start-up intermitently, BFG said theyll replace my card. Well long story short, I've wound up with what they have labeled as a GTX260 OC2 (REFERB), AND YET, I get LOWER FPS in CSS and DOD source now? WTF?
1st of all, how can I check to see if it is REALLy an OC-2?!
2nd, Is there a way to make the PSU work to hook up 2 GTX 260's? If not, what PSU would be good to run 2 GTX 260's (one will be the OC-2, and the other will be just a 260 base).
thanks
The Sicilian

Solution
Well like I said you can use something like GPU Z to check the core clocks.

Also you could run benchmarks such as 3dmark06 and compare them to GTX 260's.

If your power supply only has 1 6 pin (used that for 1 GPU)... Most GPU's now a days have a 6 pin to x2 4 pin molex converters. You can use 1 GTX 260 on the 6 pin, and the other using the converter (2 4 pin molex)...
I am not sure however if your PSU even has the power to fuel them, read up on the specs (on psu) and make sure it delivers enough Amperage.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
RETAIL Part #: BFGRGTX260896OC2E
ETAIL Part #: BFGEGTX260896OC2E

These are the #s for the part depending if it's retail or etail (online).
Another way to check if it is a GTX 260 is to use something like GPU_Z and check the clocks.

GPU NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260
Core Clock 630MHz (vs. 576MHz standard)
Shader Clock 1350MHz (vs. 1242MHz standard)
Shader Model 4.0
Texture Fill Rate 40.3 Billion/sec.
Processor Cores 192
Memory
Video Memory 896MB
Memory Type GDDR3
Memory Data Rate 2126MHz (vs. 1998MHz standard)
Memory Interface 448-bit
Memory Bandwidth 119.1GB/sec.

These are the specs of the GTX 260 OC2, yes it just says GTX 260 but it is the OC2 (straight from BFG)
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrgtx260896oc2e.aspx

As for the putting two GTX 260s (the Oc2/one regular 216 core<-- important) yes you can however the card with the higher clocks will be underclock to the lower clock card. (OC2 will underclock to a regular GTX 260)...

TheSicilian

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

thanks for the info, yes i have read up about the OC2 on the BFG website, but is there a way to "check" what the referb card they sent me is actually putting out?
AND, I DID NOT know that the stock 260 would force my OC2 to underclock, that was not made clear by BFG Tech rep. On this subject, my volcano 630W only has 1X6pin power port and I believe I need to run each card on a seperate power line. There are a few other "open ports" on the PSU, but they are not 6 pins.
And yes I have the latest drivers from nvidia, 190.something i think.
Im still irritated that a card that is supposed to be leaps and bounds ahead of my 8800, actually seems slower... pertaining to my now lousy FPS in game(s). What else could cause this, its quite a coincidence it all decreased once I started getting the referb replacements?...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Well like I said you can use something like GPU Z to check the core clocks.

Also you could run benchmarks such as 3dmark06 and compare them to GTX 260's.

If your power supply only has 1 6 pin (used that for 1 GPU)... Most GPU's now a days have a 6 pin to x2 4 pin molex converters. You can use 1 GTX 260 on the 6 pin, and the other using the converter (2 4 pin molex)...
I am not sure however if your PSU even has the power to fuel them, read up on the specs (on psu) and make sure it delivers enough Amperage.

Solution

TheSicilian

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I talked to the tech at the place that carries the volcano PSU, and from what I could understand from his heavy accent, I need to but another PSU.
I am still annoyed/frustrated by the fact that my old 8800GTXOC got way better FPS than the BFg referb replacement of a GTX260OC2. What are your thoughts on referb GPU's, becuase I think their garbage, but its BFG's "policy" that hidden in the fine print somewhere is a claus that states their so called "lifetime warranty" allows them to replace your failed card with a referb... what a joke in my opinion.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Usually refurbished GPU's work the same as new parts if they are not defective. Mostly because they are refurbished, meaning any bad parts were repaired or replaced. However the rate of defective refurbished parts varies from company to company.

I would not mind receiving a refurbished part, specially if they are upgrading me because I know that refurbished part is still under the original warranty so I could just return it.

Actually it not a hidden policy all companies do this, it is a method of keeping warranties at a low cost while maintaining a decent quality control. It is either a new part, repair the same part, or refurbished part.

To be honest just ask them to replace the card again although I doubt it is the card's error maybe it's your cheap psu? I do know using a weak PSU will DRASTICALLY reduce the performance of the GPU along with any other components.

TheSicilian

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I have considered getting another psu, but in defense of my volcano, I have run tests on it and it performs like a champ hitting all its SPECS to a "T" if not exceeding them. I have been round and round with what it might be, even upped my DSL to "elite" 6MB and my FPS in the same game (CSS) is still drastically reduced since my 8800 was replaced. I am a learning techy with all this stuff, and I used to LOVE gaming.....now everytime I sign on and LAG when too much action is going on, or just normal play I get discouraged that I'll never see smooth game play again. I spent GOOD money to have smooth game play and purchased all high end equipment for said priviledge, and now Im reduced back to when I used to play with hand-me-down pc's from others who upgraded to the latest and greatest. I hope you can understand my frustration, I try not to dwell on it too much because I start to get pissed off actually at the hyped up equipment that crapped out on me. (referring to the GPU most likely). Just to have it replaced with what appears to be junk. They should honor what a consumer is lead to believe is a REAL lifetime warrany, and REPLACE A NEW CARD THAT FAILED, WITH A NEW CARD. As the consumer, I bought a new card NOT a referb. so I should bet a new card in return, thwen there would be not much left in question about the replacement.

TRENDING THREADS