Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can anyone help a first time overclocker?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 8, 2012 3:32:36 PM

So I have my brand new i5 2500k and Gemini S cooler. I changed the multiplier to 40 without changing ANYTHING else, mostly because I didn't think 4.0 was to high. Anyways, I'm running Prime 95 on 'blend' and the second core has hit the highest (72c). Here are the averages:

1st core: 67
2nd core: 68
3rd core: 66
4th core: 63

Are these safe (with a max of 72)?

I don't know if I should have changed something else in the bios, but I didn't.

The reason I am worried is because I set Intel burn test on standard and the max temperatures were:
1: 71
2: 78
3: 79
4: 72
In about 1 minute. This worried me, but the Prime 95 temperatures are much lower, so is this 4.0 overclock good to go?

Thanks SO much!

Joe

EDIT: After looking at other threads, do I need to up the voltage? If so, how much?

More about : time overclocker

a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 3:54:49 PM

Upto 72C is absolutely fine, 79C is alittle on the high side.

I'd recommend manually setting the Vcore in the BIOS rather than leaving it on AUTO as most motherboards will apply more voltage than is necessary.

Just stay below about 1.42V and 72C under load.
m
0
l
January 8, 2012 3:56:17 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Upto 72C is absolutely fine, 79C is alittle on the high side.

I'd recommend manually setting the Vcore in the BIOS rather than leaving it on AUTO as most motherboards will apply more voltage than is necessary.

Just stay below about 1.42V and 72C under load.


What would you set the voltage to?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 4:08:37 PM

Try something nice and safe like 1.25V, test for stability for 10 minutes, if its stable restart and enter BIOS, increase the multi by +1, save and exit, then test for stability again.
Repeat this process until its unstable, then increase the voltage to 1.26V (providing the temps are under 72C).
m
0
l
January 8, 2012 4:13:04 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Try something nice and safe like 1.25V, test for stability for 10 minutes, if its stable restart and enter BIOS, increase the multi by +1, save and exit, then test for stability again.
Repeat this process until its unstable, then increase the voltage to 1.26V (providing the temps are under 72C).


I will definitely try this later!

I set voltage to 1.25 and holy cow my temperatures are 25-30c idle and don't break 60 on Prime 95.

Thanks!

This also proves your theory that auto puts out to much voltage.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 8, 2012 4:20:53 PM

fsujoseph said:
I will definitely try this later!

I set voltage to 1.25 and holy cow my temperatures are 25-30c idle and don't break 60 on Prime 95.

Thanks!

This also proves your theory that auto puts out to much voltage.


No problem buddy, let us know how you get on :) 

I'd always recommend setting the Vcore manually even if your not overclocking as the motherboard can sometimes increase the Vcore outside of what is considered safe, causing degradation and excess heat. Stupid A.I :p 
m
0
l
January 9, 2012 1:09:28 AM

+1

I can hit 4.5Ghz on my 2600k with stock voltage (1.27V).

Just for reference, what mobo are you using?
m
0
l
!