Sign in with
Your question

New System, Home Built, Display will not turn on

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2009 5:05:18 AM

Alright, I just finished putting together my first home-built system, I have never done this before. I read the manuals and followed each instruction tediously to install the motherboard, CPU, and various cards. Everything fit together nicely and every cord has a socket. My problem is that when I went to boot it for the first time, everything starts, fans run, lights turn on. My problem is that my display will not turn on. I have made sure that the connections around the board are solid. But I have no idea why this is happening. Did I miss a simple step? If anyone has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

One other problem is that my case did not come with a system warning speaker, so I am not getting the beeps to let me know specifically the problem. Please Help.

Just to be clear, I know my graphics card works, i used it in my old computer. My hard drive is also from my old computer. The new parts are the motherboard, cpu, and ram.

Motherboard: Asus P7P55DE EVO
CPU: Intel i5 Quad Core 2.66 gHz
RAM: 4 gig DDR3 Corsair (came in a combo deal with the motherboard)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 gig
PSU: Corsair TX 750

All comments appreciated, I feel like I am missing something simple...
October 3, 2009 5:57:08 AM

Also to be clear, I read the sticky thread, but most of those seem to assume that your display is receiving a signal, mine is not.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 5:58:07 AM

Just to make sure, you plugged in the power to the 4850 right?

Go through this check list to make sure you didnt skip over anything obvious, if it doesnt help it also contains a link to a site that sells case speakers for really cheap
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 6:14:02 AM

The checklist doesn't assume you have a display. It was created to troubleshoot problems exactly like yours. I would go back over the checklist and make sure to perform every step. #2 on the checklist is the most common mistake. Using RAM that requires more than the DDR3 standard voltage of 1.5v also is a common problem and often results in a screen with no display. That's why the suggestion to try each stick of RAM by itself is in the checklist. A lot of times a motherboard can boot with a single stick of RAM, but will need the RAM settings manually set in the BIOS in order for both sticks to work.

If you make it through the checklist with no success, the next step is to breadboard the system by building it with the motherboard outside the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:23:09 AM

Alright, I figured it out, one of my ram cards was not fully seated, got a small click after applying nerve-racking force, and now I have a display.

Next question, I am getting a bios message telling me to reboot and select the proper boot media. I could find nothing in the manual about this message. I am unfamilar with BIOS, and it is probably another duh question. I would just appreciate a translation of what the problem is. I dont really want to go fiddling around with my bios unless I know what to do...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 6:24:55 AM

Well you said your hard drive is from an old computer, did you reinstall windows on it? In general you cannot transfer a windows installation from one motherboard to another as it lacks the appropriate drivers to interact with the motherboard.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:27:15 AM

That makes sense. I'm thinking thats the problem. So I just need to re-install my os while on the new motherboard and that should take care of it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 6:28:25 AM

yup, if you have it connected to the internet while installing it wont even ask you for motherboard drivers it will just get them itself. Once you do that it should work fine.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 3:14:44 PM

The only problem with that is that until you get firewall and anti-virus software running, your system is exposed to malware.
m
l
!