PLEASE, Please, Please help me....

itsbearx13

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I am selling my barrely used computer. The system was just working fine. I installed it into a new case, and now it will not boot up. I have an ABIT ip-35-e motherboard and a intel 2 duo core 2.53ghz cpu. The red light on the motherboard turns on like it's supposed to when the power supply is powered, but when i hit the power button, you hear a light squeek which seems to come from the cpu. Does anyone know what the problem is? Please, please, please help me out as i need this system working in the morning....

Solution
First it would not POST.
Then it POSTED, reset and POSTED again.
Now it POSTS fine, and after like 3 minutes crashes.
Well, you are making progress.
Did you completely clean the cpu top and heatsink bottom, applying new thermal paste as you reinstalled the heatsink?
Is the cpu fan power lead firmly plugged in?
This is now starting to sound like a heat problem, unless you changed memory/settings.

tecmo34

Administrator
One or two things... IMO
1) Double check you have all the connectors from the case & psu plugged in and plugged in correctly

2) Double check your motherboard that isn't being "shorted" out by improper installation... Everything on the standoff's, not loose metal or screws touching it... Etc

Read through the stickie on "Read before posting on boot issues" for additional ideas.

itsbearx13

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Hey, please help me through this process Techmo.. the culprit is most likely idea number 2. I am new to building systems and the mobo was giving me lots of problems lining up with the back faceplate... i think your right in assessing the problem being the mobo is getting shorted. how do i really figure out if this is the problem?

tecmo34

Administrator
You can always put back in the old case to rule out other issues or boot the PC outside of the case, as well.

Take the MOBO out of the case and check for anything that could've caused a short.
Put the MOBO in the case and make sure all your standoff's are present and aligned ( normally require 9 of them)
Reinstall everything and see what happens and if need install without the Rear I/O Panel.

Here's the stickie that tecmo referred to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

This is called breadboarding. Basically, you build a caseless computer. It lets you test all the components before you go through all the work installing them in a case. Then after installing the part into the case, if it doesn't work, you know you made some kind of installation mistake - usually (but not always) involving case standoffs.

itsbearx13

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
The PC worked fine outside of a case. Then I installed it all, except i left the motherboard out of the trap and on the side panal and it worked. Put it back in the case and it double boots, stays on for about 2-4 minutes, and powers back down.. any ideas now what the problem is?

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you had any luck?

I agree with checking your standoff's are all there and placed correctly. Also, I would recommend rubbing your hands inside the case around all possible edges to see if you feel or find any metal sticking out that could case a short. The problem is happens once you install in the case, so verify everything inside your case is okay.

Keep us posted!!!

itsbearx13

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I checked all the standoffs.. all on properly from what I can see. Computer boots up, and I try installing windows, and like 3 mins into the installation it crashes every time :/ what could be causing this? anything besides standoffs? Anything with the hardware? Thanks for your help guys!

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
First it would not POST.
Then it POSTED, reset and POSTED again.
Now it POSTS fine, and after like 3 minutes crashes.
Well, you are making progress.
Did you completely clean the cpu top and heatsink bottom, applying new thermal paste as you reinstalled the heatsink?
Is the cpu fan power lead firmly plugged in?
This is now starting to sound like a heat problem, unless you changed memory/settings.

Solution