Solved

New Computer CPU Utilization

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Games
Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:08:23 PM

I just bought a new computer about a week ago and I was pumped about it. Windows was faster, games were faster, and applications in general were faster, or so I hope.

In the middle of a Supreme Commander game, I was just thought it would be interesting to see how my proc was being utilized, only to find out that one core is winding away with the other 3 sitting idle.

This phenomenon holds true for other games as well. So my question is this normal?

Specs:
Phenom II X4 925
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
Geil 2GB DDR3
7900GT (I just ordered a 4890, so its on the way)
550W PSU (I just ordered a 650W for the 4890)
Win XP with all the updates

More about : computer cpu utilization

Best solution

December 20, 2009 11:24:05 PM

yes

individual applications GENERALLY only utilize one core

parallel applications, like video encoding, are written to utilize all available cores

since you're only running the 1 game, you should only expect 1 core to be humming
December 20, 2009 11:29:44 PM

do you mean you built a new computer? b/c if you bought one it would have come with Vista or Win 7.

anyway, since you seem to be happy with the performance, I wouldn't worry about it but I'll try and give you a hint in case some of the background tasks start to slow down your gaming. Right-click on the game process and set the affinity to to something other than 0 (in your case, 1, 2, or 3). That sets your game to run on a different core.
m
l
!