sub-systems

I'm pretty new to the Windows XP program and am usually
pretty good at figuring a problem out. This time "m
stumped! I keep getting the same "error message" whenever
I try to open any downloaded files.
error msg: "system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos
and Windows applications"
I did notice that the major onslaught didn't start until I
installed several programs from these disks a friend of
mine gave me.
Messing with the system exe. and bat. files has always
intimidated me, that's why I leave them alone.
Please provide detailed instructions to fix ASAP....
THANX, Ingrid

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Ingala" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty new to the Windows XP program and am usually
> pretty good at figuring a problem out. This time "m
> stumped! I keep getting the same "error message" whenever
> I try to open any downloaded files.
> error msg: "system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos
> and Windows applications"
> I did notice that the major onslaught didn't start until I
> installed several programs from these disks a friend of
> mine gave me.
> Messing with the system exe. and bat. files has always
> intimidated me, that's why I leave them alone.
> Please provide detailed instructions to fix ASAP....
> THANX, Ingrid

The programs on the disks your friend gave you might genuinly *not* be
designed to run on a Windows system. (Could they be for another type of OS,
like for Linux, or MAC OS, or????)
Just guessing here...

george