Sign in with
Your question

New Desktop build or Macbook Pro 15 inch?

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:15:56 PM

I am deciding on keeping my weak laptop for just work purposes and getting a desktop for home (Main Computer). I never had a desktop so this will be a new path with a nice monitor on my desk.

My other option is to sell the laptop and just get a 15 inch Macbook Pro that will serve as both the main computer as well as my portable university laptop. My current laptop is 13.3 inch so it will be a noticeable change in terms of weight and size.

What are your guys suggestion? For about the same $ I can either get the med spec 15 inch Macbook Pro or this build.

Btw what monitor do you guys suggest in the 24 inch size?
Some I have looked at include..
Samsung T240
Samsung 2443bw
Samsung 2433bw
Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp

1 x Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
1 x Please Use The Heatsink Included with My CPU -NOT Available with OEM Processors
1 x ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
1 x Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
1 x GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 576MHZ 896MB GDDR3 1.998GHZ PCI-E Dual DVI-I
This video card is available only as part of a pre-build NCIX PC system.
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Two Mid Tower Gamer Case 902 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 eSATA Audio
1 x Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
1 x Microsoft Office Ready 2007 SP1 60 Day Trial - Free with New NCIX or Nx Fusion PC Purchase
1 x Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
1 x Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x PC Assembly and Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:31:11 PM

from the sound of what you are using it for, you do not need a i7 920, you need more of a i5 750. this will lower the price down by:

100$ for the cpu
100$ for the motherboard
50$ for the RAM

so 250$ (give or take 50$) that you can spend elsewhere in the computer, or elsewhere in life. and for monitors in the 24 inch range, look at;

Acer G245Hbmid Black

LG W2453V-PF

and the ones you suggested. the 2433bw is the best of the ones you suggested.
m
l
December 20, 2009 11:33:43 PM

Why not a i7 920? Btw, I am not trying to build a "gaming rig" by any means since I don't game A LOT...I may play time to time but not a hardcore gamer.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:36:39 PM

exactly, unless you are a pro gamer, you dont need a i7 920, the i5 750 will be more than enough performance for a big gamer, and worker. i really recommend the i5 750, it is the best of both worlds, consumer and gamer. and you also save money on the mobo and ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2009 11:45:34 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here but... does your laptop fail to do anything a Macbook Pro or high end desktop could do?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 4:28:13 AM

tl9015 said:
Why not a i7 920? Btw, I am not trying to build a "gaming rig" by any means since I don't game A LOT...I may play time to time but not a hardcore gamer.

Lots of people try to "future proof" buy getting computers much much more powerful than they need. This is generally a bad idea, because of the rate at which technology/cost changes. Its more cost effective to replace cheaper technology more often--because you are paying a massive premium to get intels best i7 technology which will cost half as much in a year or so.

I do however completely agree with your high quality PSU and case--these are things you can keep for a long time--even after replacing the parts that become dated.

Quote:
My other option is to sell the laptop and just get a 15 inch Macbook Pro that will serve as both the main computer as well as my portable university laptop. My current laptop is 13.3 inch so it will be a noticeable change in terms of weight and size.

Now to the laptop idea. You realize that this is a very strange question? Macbook pros are great laptops (a little pricy, but good quality) but are nothing like this desktop. What exactly do you need to do with it? This build you just listed is like four times as powerful as a macbook pro. A desktop equivalent to that laptop would cost like $500.

So you need to decide what your priority is: Mobility&style vs. brute power&cost effectiveness?

If you cant make this decision you might consider some gaming laptops that split the difference. dell studio xps(pretty stylish too), Asus G series?

p.s. The Apple would be way better for picking up girls though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 4:55:17 AM

build a rig.

anyone who isnt a PC novice should avoid mac products.

core i5+5xxx series GPU makes an awesome rig.

nuff said.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 5:45:05 AM

If you do want to game at all, get the desktop, laptops are not fun to game on and Macs are not good gaming platforms to begin with.

I also wonder, is your current laptop a Mac or PC? It really doesn't make a lot of sense to switch from one to the other if you are already familiar with one without a lot of reason. Mac users hate to use PC's, and PC users hate using Macs in general. Not that one is all that better than the other, but it's new and it's something you'd have to retrain on.

I also agree, you don't need to go so high end, especially since you aren't a gamer. It might make a little more sense if you are a graphic artist or CAD worker, however.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 6:08:46 AM

The desktop is certainly more bang for buck.

Only you can answer this question "what will you use more?"

The MBP's are awesome. You will get almost a full days work done on a single charge. The specs have certainly improved, but if its raw performance, a desktop will dominate.

m
l
December 21, 2009 6:15:21 AM

Well I've used both and currently my laptop is a HP DV3 with AMD processor and a crappy vcard. I've had a Macbook Pro 15inch the older one with Santa Rosa platform but sold it cause at the time I had another laptop so having 2 weren't necessary. I honestly don't think I can go wrong with either leopard or 7. I honestly think a Macbook Pro's specs will do just fine and even a little gaming on its 9600GT. But for the same amount of money, I can build that which is apparently 3-4 times the performance and quality of parts.

I don't own a desktop and this holiday, I will be getting a makeover of the room and want to buy a MAIN computer with a monitor and something that's maximized at performance. I figure that I could build that rig and then jus upgrade cpu, vcard later on and keep all other parts.

m
l
December 21, 2009 6:27:08 AM

tl9015 said:
Well I've used both and currently my laptop is a HP DV3 with AMD processor and a crappy vcard. I've had a Macbook Pro 15inch the older one with Santa Rosa platform but sold it cause at the time I had another laptop so having 2 weren't necessary. I honestly don't think I can go wrong with either leopard or 7. I honestly think a Macbook Pro's specs will do just fine and even a little gaming on its 9600GT. But for the same amount of money, I can build that which is apparently 3-4 times the performance and quality of parts.

I don't own a desktop and this holiday, I will be getting a makeover of the room and want to buy a MAIN computer with a monitor and something that's maximized at performance. I figure that I could build that rig and then jus upgrade cpu, vcard later on and keep all other parts.

How badly would you want a laptop? TBH, I would take the macbook without a doubt. The performance is more than enough if you don't do rendering, heavy gaming, etc. For normal office work, surfing etc, you won't notice the difference between the two, honestly. You also have the advantage of being able to choose between OSX and Win7.

However, I'm not very fond of desktops (destops takes up too much room and I want to be able to throw the compys outta the way when needed), so that would be my reason to choose the macbook.
Seeing that you already have a laptop that you can use when you need mobility, a desktop might be the way to go, especially if as you say, you do some gaming. (I do as well, but that's what ps3:s are for :) )
m
l
December 21, 2009 6:29:01 AM

mrmez said:
The desktop is certainly more bang for buck.

Only you can answer this question "what will you use more?"

The MBP's are awesome. You will get almost a full days work done on a single charge. The specs have certainly improved, but if its raw performance, a desktop will dominate.

Honestly, at this time, I don't run any applications that are extremely intensive. Most of the content I run are LOTS of windows for browsing, word, excel, powerpoint, a lot of movie watching using VLC, iTunes, and some gaming.

The heaviest applications I would run are the Adobe suite and a music composing program. I know these would rely on the CPU for rendering speeds and this is where Core i7 would help immensely.

Also, I will be using this main computer as a home server for all the music and movies/tv shows for my family members' laptops to watch from.

Ultimately, I want to know if I would even feel the difference in daily tasks for going with the desktop over the Macbook Pro 15 in (daily tasks that I have mentioned).
m
l
December 21, 2009 6:41:50 AM

tl9015 said:
Honestly, at this time, I don't run any applications that are extremely intensive. Most of the content I run are LOTS of windows for browsing, word, excel, powerpoint, a lot of movie watching using VLC, iTunes, and some gaming.

The heaviest applications I would run are the Adobe suite and a music composing program. I know these would rely on the CPU for rendering speeds and this is where Core i7 would help immensely.

Also, I will be using this main computer as a home server for all the music and movies/tv shows for my family members' laptops to watch from.

Ultimately, I want to know if I would even feel the difference in daily tasks for going with the desktop over the Macbook Pro 15 in (daily tasks that I have mentioned).

If you are going to use it as a server, then I advise you to go for the desktop as you then can add additional hard drives as needed.
Actually, the best would be to get an additional drive where you put your music/movies etc. so that you wont have to suffer too much if the rest of your family needs to access something while you are working at your compy.
m
l
December 21, 2009 6:54:31 AM

cobot said:
If you are going to use it as a server, then I advise you to go for the desktop as you then can add additional hard drives as needed.
Actually, the best would be to get an additional drive where you put your music/movies etc. so that you wont have to suffer too much if the rest of your family needs to access something while you are working at your compy.

What do you mean? If I have one 1TB drive with all the files my family will be accessing, the performance of it drops for my usage?
Should I get another 1TB drive and just put all the server files on there?
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:10:56 AM

tl9015 said:
What do you mean? If I have one 1TB drive with all the files my family will be accessing, the performance of it drops for my usage?
Should I get another 1TB drive and just put all the server files on there?

Yes. If they're all accessing files from your computer over the network, and these files are on your C: drive, then you will suffer a performance hit.
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:31:08 AM

As for the cycle of desktops, is it a good time to buy? I know for the Mbp 15 I will be holding off for a bit until January-February when they release it with the new Arrendale chips. I don't know much about the cycle of desktop products as of right now.

angry_ducky: Should I have 1 TB for my work stuff on C and then get another 1 TB and put it on E or F or G as media?
m
l
December 21, 2009 3:48:10 PM

You are quite a light user. Since few of your applications are too CPU demanding I think you should consider AMD. Probably suits you better. Unless of course you don't mind spending a little more (which is likely since you want an i7 for simple tasks) or have a brand-oriented decision making style, which for some reason I feel you have a little of that. Not that there's anything wrong...

If you are not in a hurry for the purchase (like I was) perhaps you should wait until quarter one 2010. Maybe Intel will launch something new. 32nm anyone?
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
December 21, 2009 8:30:52 PM

Get yourself a nice dual core laptop and build a cheap Phenom II x3 or i5 based home server that you admin from the laptop.
m
l
December 22, 2009 9:57:42 AM

Do you guys recommend a custom build desktop like I have mentioned or a branded desktop like Dell, HP etc.? Are the individual parts I have selected much better quality than the ones being use in branded desktops?

Also, what will last longer? Will the custom built ones have higher failure rate?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 11:32:49 AM

i recommend spending 2 weeks to browse the web, youtube, and toms to get a grasp of how to build it. if you have a friend that knows how thats also helpful. the parts you could get would be superior to that of a dell (they dont let you customize case, psu, motherboard, RAM, and these part are usually the cheapest things they can find) and you would be much more familiar with your computer. i would say that a correctly built pc last longer than a dell, because the last time i bought a dell, after 2 years the cheap 200w athena power psu died, right after the warranty expired too, whereas most parts have their own 3-5 year warranties.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 12:14:33 AM

tl9015 said:

Thats pretty hard to judge.

An MBP is obviously way underpowered compared to an i7 system. Then again, OSX doesn't need as much power for general stuff. Ppl complain Mac's are lacking in h/ware... but then again they can easily make do with less.

From what you have said, i think a powerful desktop will be the better way.

But again... ask yourself 'What system will you spend the most time on'?
m
l
!