Sign in with
Your question

Limited or no connection

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2009 11:31:51 PM

Just my luck eh.. I get one PC working perfectly, and i start having major problems with my other one.

Well.. ive reinstalled windows about 9 times in the past 48 hours and im running into the same problem. No matter what i do, my LAN ALWAYS says limited or no connectivity.

I have comcast ISP, the modem only has one ethernet port so im using a hub to branch it so i can connect both computers. ive checked all the cables and they work just fine on this PC.

The other pcs specs are:
HP Pavillion a384x
Asus a7n8x-la motherboard
AMD Athlon 2800+ processor
1gb of RAM
Radeon 9250 vid card
no sound card, using onboard
Maxtor 80gb hard drive
and ive tried 3 different versions of windows.
Windows XP Home edition(2 different disks)
Windows XP Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate

Aside from the RAM, the video card,and the OS all the parts were the same ones it came with.

im pretty sure its a driver problem but im not sure.. but if anyone could tell me forsure that would be great.

More about : limited connection

December 21, 2009 1:12:50 AM

Have you recently screwed around with the modem because some settings on it could prevent you from accessing the internet
I would suggest talking to comcast, they usually can figure it out

But if not here are the appropiate drivers for your motherboard
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driver...

As it says on the website, "This chipset driver file will install Video, Sound, LAN, and Bus drivers."

Hope that helps
December 21, 2009 5:22:12 PM

No i haven't messed with the modem, i just installed the hub. I tried taking the cord out of the non-working PC and testing it with my xbox 360 and it wouldnt connect to it either. So i dont think its the drivers.
Related resources
December 21, 2009 5:49:37 PM

Actually its the mac id problem. Most ISPs block any other system from using the net other than the one that the user uses initially. Talk to comcast and ask them to bind the mac id to your hub. Also, tell them to bind it to your xbox also, if taht is not being connected to the hub.
December 21, 2009 6:02:23 PM

You may want to get a wireless router.
December 21, 2009 6:20:59 PM

And how will that solve the problem, aford?
December 21, 2009 7:02:50 PM

router's assign their own 'ghost' ip to the devices connected to it.

I'm not a network guru, but I don't believe you can simply use a hub to split a modem into devices. That's where the router comes into play. It will assign the IP addresses.

It also will let you get rid of uneeded cables.
December 21, 2009 8:51:24 PM

The example from your link that uses a switch, is running it through a router.
December 21, 2009 9:12:36 PM

Yes, it does, but it also shows how to connect three computers WITHOUT using the router too. If you go thru the article carefully enough, it clearly shows how to connect 3 computers with a switch for LAN activities. Connect the switch to a modem to be capable to connect to internet.

I still maintain, router is always better than a switch. But the OP clearly dont have a router and he DOES NOT need to buy one, if he does not want. Connecting to internet can be done by using either a switch or a router or using both.
December 21, 2009 9:54:35 PM

I see your point. In that method of using the switch without the router, it uses the 1st PC basically as a slave. The PC is connected to the internet through the modem, then the hub gives access to the 2nd device. Like I said, I'm not a network guru. So, my question is, if the IP is bound to the hub, won't the 1st PC lose connectivity, since the hub is using the network ability of the 1st PC?
December 21, 2009 10:24:44 PM

Actually the article that I linked can just be seen as a very basic one. It just explains basic stuff, does not go deep enough for anything to make any real sense. I linked it for you and not for the OP. If the OP had any problem with the way his network is to be setup, then I would have linked some real nice articles.

OP: If you are not tech savvy, please dont bother with what I am writing below. Its just to answer aford. :) 

Now, to your question, aford, no it wont. Because the job of the hub is to split the connection, NOT take one for itself. As you must be knowing, a switch/hub is a device that connects many computers on a LAN. This lets the computers share data amongst themselves. The switch does not have the ability to connect to WAN. For that we need a modem. When these two devices (switch and a modem) combine, we call it a Router.
So, for the sake of simplicity, lets take an example where we want to connect 3 PCs to internet, such that they all can share data amongst themselves too. We have two ways of doing it:
1) Connect all the systems to a switch/hub and then connect the switch to a modem. Here, switch has its own mac id, which the modem broadcasts for WAN connection (internet). Thus, as far as the modem is concerned, its connecting only one device to the internet.

2) Connect all the systems to a router (which as I said above is nothing but a combination of a switch and a modem). The LAN part of the router assigns 1 IP address to each system while the WAN part of the router broadcasts single IP address for internet connectivity.

In both the cases, wahts happening is this:
3 computers:-> switch/hub:->modem :: internet

Now why we prefer using a router instead of the first method is highlighted in the other article I linked.

If you are still having difficulties understanding the first method,
Try to understand it this way: 3 computers connected to the switch become ONE computer for it. The switch itself becomes a LAN card (as a switch/hub is nothing but a many port LAN device). The LAN card (switch) is connected to the modem as usual. Problem solved.

The bottomline: Nothing is secondary/slave in the setup.

If you want more information, I will be happy to help.... :) 
December 21, 2009 10:49:43 PM

I've been educated. It was the part about binding the IP to the switch that was throwing me.

I learned something today, = my quota. Thanx hellraiser.
December 22, 2009 9:31:28 PM

You are welcome aford....
!