Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Media Internal Not Working?

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2011 8:53:29 AM

My primary computer's PSU is failing to power my unit. I have two internal HDD's both NTFS formats, 1 is for the OS and programs, the other is for data. I have a secondary Dell computer that is still working. When I put my Data internal into my dell with proper power and sata connection it does not detect the drive at all. Even under Computer>Manage>Disk Inspection.

Does dell require proprietary HDDs?

More about : media internal working

August 9, 2011 8:57:25 PM

Well little bit of an update, it wasn't the PSU. I used a PSU tester, and all the voltages were within the specified tolerance levels. Not sure why these drives aren't working.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 10, 2011 2:22:27 AM

are the hard drives detected in the bios?

if so try computer>manage>disk management
and see if they show up in there.

if they arent assigned a drive letter or formatted corrected they wont show up in "computer"
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 2:37:02 AM

@rand_79: I formatted it and assigned it a drive letter in my other computer, so I don't think that's the problem. and in the original post I had said I had done what you already mentioned.

@werner123: I really hope it isn't donezo. That would make 3 in 1 month, someone can't have that bad of luck, can they? Anyways, I unfortunately can't get my hands on an enclosure, thanks for the suggestion though.
m
l
a c 301 G Storage
August 11, 2011 11:35:12 PM

Do your drives spin up, or sound like they are trying to?

What are their model numbers?
m
l
August 12, 2011 6:27:12 AM

@fzabkar: Those puppies spin nice. Their model number is: HD103SJ.
As a sidenote, both drives were formatted for NTFS and given drive letters on my other computer, which is malfunctioning. Here's what my disk management looks like when I have 1 of the drives in:

Both drives produce the same thing. Little bit of a reminder, one drive holds my boot for win7, and the other just my media, and they both display the same way. The reason I'm doing one at a time is because my older dell computer only has 2 HDD slots.

If I were to reformat the drive(s) I would lose all the data on them, correct? Which is not what I want to do.
m
l
August 12, 2011 10:08:36 PM

@werner123: That'd make it 4 HDD's in 1 month. I refuse to believe that, haha! I'll wait till the motherboard comes back to establish that. I really hope that didn't happen.. :( 
m
l

Best solution

a c 301 G Storage
August 13, 2011 2:29:48 AM

Formatting is data destructive.

How are the drives identified by your BIOS?

Have you tried Samsung's diagnostics, eg ES-Tool or Hutil?
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/down...
http://www.samsung.com/global/system/business/hdd/faq/2...
August 13, 2011 3:46:06 AM

Oh my, the problem lies between the desk and my chair. It's me! Haha, by default the SATA ports on my mobo are disabled, so while I was checking on the BIOS, I saw that and was like...what the....*enable!*

Credit goes to fzabkar. Thank you everyone for helping out so much!
m
l
August 13, 2011 3:46:16 AM

Best answer selected by Scooter92.
m
l
!