I have 6gb of RAM computer only reads 4gb

aus10

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello, i just built this computer i installed 6gbs of corsiar dominator ram. i clicked on my system thing and it said i have 4.0gbs. Why is it only reading 4 out of the 6? How do I get it to read all 6.

Solution
What does it say when going through the BIOS loading screen? Does your motherboard support tat much RAM? Did they install correctly (all the latches snapping shut)?

What operating system are you running, and what version (32- or 64-bit)?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
What does it say when going through the BIOS loading screen? Does your motherboard support tat much RAM? Did they install correctly (all the latches snapping shut)?

What operating system are you running, and what version (32- or 64-bit)?

Solution

aus10

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

HAHA ya no joke its never done that before. strange isn't it? i hopen to get 6 more some time but its so expensive. Hope my computer will read it all. Computers are strange like that though. Crysis my computer is like no i don't feel like playing and freezes up. Then i have to reinstall the drivers and it works sometimes. its messed up.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
That doesn't help. There are at least 5 64-bit versions(XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003/2008, etc) of Windows, not including the different types within each version (home starter, home premium, etc).

At any rate, if you're still getting BSODs or any freezing, make sure it is all running at the correct voltage, speed, and timings, then run Memtest86+ on it for a few passes to test for stability. If it passes, then it may not be the RAM that is causing the issues.