RAM only works when warm?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey guys,

I've bought a new pair of DDR2 400mhz 2048mb sticks of ram to go into my gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l.

At first, they were working okay until one went funny. Everytime I boot up with this specific stick in, I get the continous beep which corrensponds with the bad stick of ram. When I take it out and just use the other one on its own, it boots fine.

However, if I try both sticks and leave the computer beeping for about 15-20mins, then turn the computer on then on again..... the bad stick of ram works! (the same happens if i just use the bad stick by itself )

Is this because the ram needs to get warm or is it just faulty?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
But I thought faulty RAM doesnt boot at all. After I leave it for 15-20mins, turn off then on again, it will work until I shut down the computer.

If you get errors with memtest86+, the stick(s) are not reliable and will result in BSODs or other unpredictable outcomes. If you cannot return them for replacement, then you should get new one(s), or....you can keep them knowing they will cause unpredictable problems.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Thank you for the help thus far Treefrog, you've been very helpful.

However, I ran memtest86+ and the test passed. I'm still puzzled as to why I have this problem.

Btw, this is a Corsair stick

You're welcome. Corsair? - you should check the forums here. Corsair has had lots of problems with its DDR2 RAM over the last few months, especially the 8500C5D (1066MHz). That is the over-clocked version of the 800MHz RAM like you have.

I am surprised that it passed memtest86+, did you let it complete all the tests? I would RMA it for replacement since it is not performing as expected. It should POST/boot reliably every time.