Sign in with
Your question

I5 or q9550 system?

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2009 12:22:30 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: in 7-14 days

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, 26" 1920*1200 monitor)

PARTS PREFERENCES: i5 or q9550 system (it will run with 26" monitor)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

USE: surfing on internet, dreamweaver, photoshop, blu ray movies, gaming(i got xbox so it computer wont be used that much for gaming)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
After my stone age computer is giving its last power (radeon 9600,amd sempron 2800+) i decided to move to a new computer. Now i dont know which system should i get. i5 or q9550.
As i will use it most for building internet sites, watching movies and not that much for gaming i dont know if it is really neccessary for me to go to i5 system. But I would like that after a time i only upgrade computer not buy it all together, as i would have to with q9550. or should i buy q9550 as it will run stuff that i need for couple of years and when that comes, even i5 wont be big thing anymore and i will have to move to even newer system?

so i'm asking what would be the cheapest but yet powerfull computer, that i can stick with it for couple of years?

Thanks in advance!
regards,Jan

More about : q9550 system

October 3, 2009 1:41:27 PM

A quick check on NewEgg shows the q9550 is $220, while the i5 750 is $200. Motherboard prices are fairly similar, although you can spend a lot more on the latest specs if you want to. If you don't need a lot of expansion slots and aren't planning on running SLI/CrossFire (which it doesn't sound like you are since you're not a gamer), I would look at combos like the i5 750 and the Gigabyte mATX board GA-P55M-UD2 currently listed at NewEgg for $300 shipped for both the CPU and the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Regardless of which chipset you pick, you'll want a graphics card that can support your monitor.
October 4, 2009 8:32:16 AM

Ok, so i deceided, that im going with i5! :) 

I like this combo, but i have a question. I'm going to buy 3gb 1600mhz Ram stick, but this motherboard does not support 1600mhz ram?
So if this is not going to work i would take Asus P7P55D motherboard.

Here is what i came up with till now:

CASE: going with the cheapest, as i dont care how it looks, and its not that unuseful i would say.
COOLER MASTER Elite RC-331-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

POWER SUPPLY: here i dont know how much i'm going to need. is 650W enough? i would go with cooler master one, becouse i heard that LC POWER one's sucks?

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

PROCESSOR
:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

COOLER FOR PROCESSOR
: i think i wont need it, till i overclock it

DESKTOP MEMORY
: 3x1GB
mushkin 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998678

GRAPHICS CARD: RADEON 4850 vapor-x // is this one gonna be good enough for full hd?
SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

HARD DRIVE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317&Tpk=WD10EADS

DVD DRIVE:
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support

I think this is gonna be very powerfull computer for my needs, and not that expensive.
In my country (slovenia) this is gonna cost me 750€, which is not that expensive here.
So any tips how would i change my computer, so it would be better for same price i would be very thankful! especially if you have any tips for graphics card!

regards
Related resources
October 4, 2009 11:24:11 AM

I almost feel this thread should be stickied. Its the perfect example of why you should ask before you buy. While what you listed will work, there are better options out there.

Your first question was on PSU. Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, and Seasonic are the first I usually look to. Their modern line of PSUs are all top notch. Look for one in the 500W range if your staying with a single card, or look to the 700-750W range for CF/SLI. (as a mostly non computer gamer, a good 500W will work fine.)

Your next problem is memory. The I5 has a dual channel memory controller, so you don't want an odd number of sticks. Drop down to 2x2GB, or move up to 4x2GB. If your running 32bit windows, the 2x2GB will work best, go to 8GBs only if your running 64bit. Keep in mind that vista and win7 come in 32bit flavors, so don't assume your running 64bit just because you are using one of those OSes.

The next issue is the video card. I don't really feel the 4850 is good enough for 19x12, not when the 4879/90 is a better fit for not much more. The 4850 is fine for the media work and video watching, but can fall short at that resolution for some games. I would at least look at a 4870/90 and see if it puts you overbudget.

The last issue I see is the harddrive. The WD green drives are not very fast. The green drives are for people who want quiet drives, not fast ones. The WD black drives are good, as are the Seagate 7200.12 drives.
October 4, 2009 12:10:45 PM

Hi 4745454b :)  Thank You for deeply review my upcoming PC!!! :) 

I was following your recomondations, and this is what i changed:

CASE: same (still want to ask, if there is any major difference between this one for 40$ and one for 80$?

POWER SUPPLY: NEW:(my country sucks in providing this products :/  (no pcp&c and seasonic here))
Found 2:

GIGABYTE SUPERB GE-P450P-C2 550W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply =60€
or
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply =80€

I would go with gigabyte one, IF you think it is good enough. Is this gonna be good enough to overclocku

MOTHERBOARD: SAME

PROCESSOR:SAME

COOLER FOR PROCESSOR:Still none

DESKTOP MEMORY
: NEW:2x2GB Corsair NEW QUESTION: Do i need 1600mhz? :) 
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

GRAPHICS CARD: NEW: RADEON 4870 vapor-x
SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

HARD DRIVE: NEW: BLACK ONE did't know before what difference in green and black is :) 
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

DVD DRIVE: SAME

With this configuration price is 811€ which is 61€ more expansive, but i think difference would be noticible.
more comments are welcome! :) 

regards
October 4, 2009 12:17:38 PM

ups...
With Gigabyte PSU it is only 783!
October 4, 2009 4:31:36 PM

So far, the only good manufacturer of PSU that previously made other computer components is Corsair. XFX has also entered the market now and have a good offering at 800W. (or was it 850?) Other then that; BFG, Gigabyte, MSI, Mushkin, etc all seem to be average or worse. In this Gigabyte case, its worse. I nearly gave up, but I found a review from Xbitlabs.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/atx-ps...

Some "good" quotes include,

Quote:
The PSU is shipped in a black-and-white box with “550W” in large print and “Peak performance” in small print. These two captions should be understood together: 550W is the peak output power of the PSU, not the continuous one...The input voltage switch is a sure indicator of the lack of an active PFC device...no active PFC, no joint voltage regulation. To remind you again, this is a junior model in Gigabyte’s product line-up...the PSU is intended for a continuous load of 450W, i.e. 100W lower than the number on the box.

Testing it gets even worse.

Quote:
As the load on the +5V and +3.3V rails grows up, the respective voltages sag and violate the permissible 5% deflection...the only real drawback I can see is that the +12V voltage sags at loads of over 250W...The efficiency barely reached 80%, which is a very modest result for a modern PSU. The power factor is no higher than 0.65.

So not only does it not have the features found on current PSUs, it will fall out of ATX specs on the 5 and 3.3V rails if you load them to much, and it will "sag" if you load the 12V rails over 250W. Toss in efficiency that is barely 80%, and I say avoid it. Although it doesn't matter for modern systems, I'd pass on it seeing as it violates ANY ATX spec. I'd get the Corsair.

As for your memory question, I'm not sure. I know that CPUs with on die memory controllers can see nice speed gains with faster ram unlike those CPUs that use the FSB. I believe DDR3-1600 is the norm, with DDR3-1333 being avg/lowend. DDR3-1800+ is for overclockers, etc. (again, I'm not sure, could be wrong.) If you can afford the 1600, get it. If not, stay with 1333. Just don't try overclocking with it.

Almost forgot. As for your case question I'm leaving it alone. Cases are a personal choice. What you find good someone else will think it sucks. Cheaper cases tend to be made from cheaper materials, but unless you really beat on it that won't matter much. As long as you have spots to put your intake and exhaust fans, it should work fine.
October 4, 2009 4:58:22 PM

ok, will buy Corsair one: GIGABYTE SUPERB GE-P450P-C2 550W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

+20€, but if im buying computer piece by piece i will buy good pieces! :) 

Thank You very much for helping me choose components for my computer, this was REALLY HELPFUL for me!
I will post how much exactly this will cost, when i will order it. I think i will start ordering somewhere in the middle of next week!

Thanks again, Regards, Jan
October 4, 2009 8:43:16 PM

Good luck. Hopefully others will post with anything I might have missed.
November 6, 2009 11:16:37 AM

ok, so now i got my new computer!!! :p 

specifications as follows:

CASE:cheap, too smal :p 

POWER SUPPLY: corsair 650W xt

MOTHERBOARD: asus p7p55d

PROCESSOR:i5 750

DESKTOP MEMORY: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

GRAPHICS CARD: RADEON 4890 vapor-x

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black3.5" Internal Hard Drives

DVD DRIVE: samsung s223l

PRICE:around 800€

I got parts on tuesday and built it together... Installed windows 7 x64 Ultimate and it works perfectly!!! :p 
Installed 2 games: NFS shift: all settings max, working great!
Operation flashpoint (new one) everything to max, also working great!

So i would also like to thank again to 4745454b for helping me out with building my dream pc!!! :p 
November 7, 2009 3:20:25 AM

Congrats. With any luck you'll stay away from here until your next upgrade...
!